My first real mix

Chamo

New Metal Member
May 14, 2007
Lille - France
Hi everyone.

It's my first message on the forum but I'm reading a lot of threads regarding recording/mixing/tips ...
So i recorded my band for a 2 tracks CD, we've done all instruments tracks and we have started vocals, but I have a "problem" with guitar tones, when we recorded guitars, guitar tones were really good, exactly the tone we want, but during mix, I don't achieve to glue guitars with drums/bass duo, guitars seem to do not be producing... I hope my though are understandable?

Bass/drum duo is OK for me, but when I add guitars, the mix sound like a poor demo...

I uploaded the mix of bass/drum duo

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/137220/reach%2022072010%20bass%20batt.mp3

and complete mix (drum, bass and guitars)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/137220/reach%2022072010.mp3

How can i improve my mix, we can't record guitars again so I need to work with these takes.

I hope you should bring me your help.

Thanks

Ben

Guitars sound like they could use a little more gain, bass sounds like it could use a little more crunch possibly, and the drums need to come up - not the cymbals, those are fine, just bring everything else in the kit up.

hi,

Thanks for your advices.

Regarding guitar sounds, if I add an overdrive on the track, do you think results could be persuasive? what kind of overdrive do you recommend me?

hey,
the guitars sound a little scratchy and lacking a little in lower mids and imo, thats why it doesn't gel with the drums/bass..
also, i think the drums could stand to come up a tad bit.
nice tune..

Weirdly, I do nothing on guitar tone... (except different pan of guitar during lead part)
I did a substantial work on drum (less harmonic on snare, change tom sound, different EQ and comp on OH and mainly I do an accurate automation of volume on them, regarding bass tone, I just added a soft overdrive and as on drums, I do an accurate automation of volume)

Today I'll work on guitar tone