My First Virus.. FML

Actually, download Hitman Pro 3 and scan it. If it doesn't find a thing, you're alright. If it does find a thing, it'll get rid of it and you'll be alright too. Catches stuff MBAM can't.

Virus free since 2005, with a PC, because I learned not to be completely retarded with a computer. C'mon guys, don't pull off the Mac card. =

Yes you have, with anti-virus/malware software and having to be careful. Right on, good for you buddy! A lot of people that are not a complete retard with computers still get viruses. It was just a joke, get over it...

Kaspersky is another good virus scanner. I got an absolutely debilitating virus.. Malwarebytes couldn't help it and it seemed like my only option was a total reinstall of Windows. Kaspersky managed to completely get rid of it.. I used the online version. It's slow but it's damn good.

edit: whoops, he's fixed it already. Oh well, useful for others I guess.

Yes you have, with anti-virus/malware software and having to be careful. Right on, good for you buddy! A lot of people that are not a complete retard with computers still get viruses. It was just a joke, get over it...

Yeah, it was more aimed at the other guy... whatever. It's really a question of preference anyways... if it works for you, that's all that matters...

Well, If apple gets even more popular (especially in the consumer market), Mac viruses will appear... It´s just a matter of time.

Well, If apple gets even more popular (especially in the consumer market), Mac viruses will appear... It´s just a matter of time.

The reason there aren't many mac virus's (there are two that effect 10.5 and two for 10.6?) not because of the number of macs, it's because of the way the super user account behaves and the fact that apps are 'sand boxed' so it's not really worth anyones while to program viruses for them aha.

The reason there aren't many mac virus's (there are two that effect 10.5 and two for 10.6?) not because of the number of macs, it's because of the way the super user account behaves and the fact that apps are 'sand boxed' so it's not really worth anyones while to program viruses for them aha.

Fair enough... I´m no coder. Learned something again^^

OS X 101 :)

Firstly it's far from perfect aha.

The super user (or root user as it's known as on OS X) account on OS X is similar to the administrator account on a windows machine in that it can edit files without restriction. The main difference though being that you don't use the root user account ever on OS X, you use a sub level of it which has some restrictions, so when you're prompted for a admin password by a program you aren't giving anything free roam of your OS. Which means should you accidentally install a virus it wouldn't be able to wreak havok with your system files.

Sand boxing means that each app/program runs in its own section or 'sandbox', so say for instance when you are using safari and you download and install a virus, that virus can only mess with safari. What's more is that if the virus doesn't have anything to do with safari it won't even run and if the virus were to run in safari it couldn't fuck with other apps due to the 'sandbox'.

^ Gotchya ;)

Thanks for the breakdown ... I had an idea of the sand boxed thing but just wanted to confirm it. Didn't know shit about the super user thing so thanks for clarifying that

OS X 101 :)

Firstly it's far from perfect aha.

The super user (or root user as it's known as on OS X) account on OS X is similar to the administrator account on a windows machine in that it can edit files without restriction. The main difference though being that you don't use the root user account ever on OS X, you use a sub level of it which has some restrictions, so when you're prompted for a admin password by a program you aren't giving anything free roam of your OS. Which means should you accidentally install a virus it wouldn't be able to wreak havok with your system files.

Sand boxing means that each app/program runs in its own section or 'sandbox', so say for instance when you are using safari and you download and install a virus, that virus can only mess with safari. What's more is that if the virus doesn't have anything to do with safari it won't even run and if the virus were to run in safari it couldn't fuck with other apps due to the 'sandbox'.

Sounds cool. I use a program called 'sandboxie' which essentially sandboxes any application you want, for Windows.

I seem to recall a number of hacking competitions and stuff like that, where the Mac was hacked/virus installed first every single time. Does this mean it's easy to hack/infect but hard to actually DO anything with?

one of the main reason macs don't get viruses: the os architecture is built on a unix kernel which is the oldest and most secure platform.

most people that write viruses and malware do it on windows based tools that are not available for the mac platform.

Ok, did a system restore.. At first my desktop was normal, but after about a minute I got fucked again.. Spose' it's time to bust out Malwarebytes??

Malwarebyte saved me from the exact same thing. Now running malwarebyte pro and Avira antivir together, and haven't had any problems since

If I ever get in a bind where a virus is particularly stubborn, I download ComboFix. It's a fucking brutal, super simple program that you just run once and it does it all for you. It has never ever failed to completely remove EVERYthing. It's not retarded either, and won't accidentally delete system files like AVG usually does :lol: