My life with Anthrax.

graham247

New Metal Member
Apr 3, 2005
OK, I know everyone has their Anthrax story, so here's mine........

First time I saw Anthrax was supporting Metallica on the 'Master of puppets' tour in Dublin Ireland. Anthrax was touring 'Spreading the dieses'. In our Family we already knew all about Anthrax and had 'Fist full of Metal' and 'Spreading the Dieses' before this show. The gig was amazing. Both band's were great and I've followed them both ever since. On every return to Dublin for Anthrax (and Metallica and many other bands) I bought my ticket and always's enjoyed the shows.

Anthrax returned to Dublin on the 'Among the living' tour, this time headlining the same venue they were supporting Metallica a few year's prior. These gig's were 'Big' occasion's in Ireland, a time when very few rock/metal bands stopped off in Dublin before heading over to 'key' date's in London UK etc...
They returned on the 'State of Euphoria' tour and I was there. But this gig did not go well. A few 'dickheads' at the front thought it would be cool or clever or whatever and started to spit up at the band (I think they thought it was 'punk rock' to do something dumb like this). The band stopped and asked people not to do it or they would stop the show. Half way through the next song a gob hit's a member of the band again and they walk off stage 'NOT' to return after 4 and a half song's.
People were pissed, boooed, ripped up the venue and caused general chaos. But not me. I said 'fair play to them'. I wouldn't take it and neither should anyone else particularly a band rocking out on stage. They did the right thing in my view and even though you could bring your ticket back for a refund I refused and kept mine like I do with all my ticket stubs for memorabilia.
Anthrax said they would never return to Ireland, and didn't, until the 'Stomp 442' tour.
The asshole punk wanna be's who thought it would be cool to spit at a band faded off into 'rave's' and 'dance' tent's and the real rockers followed the metal. The 'stomp 442' gig in Dublin was a hit. John Bush was now officially THE best singer/front man in metal and Anthrax as a band sounded, looked and played like they were a brand new band with a bunch of KILLER new songs.They've been back on every European tour since (I see they are even playing Dublin this coming May 4th) and it hasn't changed. Full on energy, rifftastic brilliant song's. This was the band for me. They said F**k you to the music business and did thing's their own way. I got it, and was on board all the way with what they were all about. Looking back at the 'belladonna' day's now looked like a bit of a joke. Like every joke the more you hear it the less funny it become's. The Bush Anthrax was fresh, raw, in your face great music............ ........AND THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......er......sorry people but we're going to go back to the 1986 way.

Guy's listen to me. I know it might look good for Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest all getting the 'old' singer back to front the band and it may look like it's working for them. But believe me it's not. I've seen all 3 bands 'reunited' and they suck........oh yes. They suck hard. I don't care how much $money$ is being dangled in front of you IT'S NOT WORTH IT. Do what you do best, make great metal record's with John Bush. I've supported Anthrax for almost 20 years and the day I read about the 'reunion' that support stopped. I'll quote a post I read on here the other day..............
"get John back singing with Anthrax again by the end of the year and all is forgiven".
I'll go along with that.
out.

Graham, your story echo's mine in many ways. The only tour I missed them on play in Ireland was the Stomp442 tour. I was at all 3 shows on the State of Euphoria tour, and the spitting happened on evey show. Bangor, we got 10 songs, Omagh we got 7 or 8, and Dublin of course 4 or 5, and I also don't blame them for doing it. I would do the same. I'll be back in Dubliin this year for a bit of nostalgia, and follow them to Glasgow the next day. Will you be there? Maybe see you at the show, I'm looking forward to it, and have my ticket already. Like you, I want John back in the band, but no matter what I'll always support my favourite band. They've given me 20 years of listening pleasure, and why should I give up on 20 years of my life supporting them?

graham247 said:
I've supported Anthrax for almost 20 years and the day I read about the 'reunion' that support stopped. I'll quote a post I read on here the other day..............
"get John back singing with Anthrax again by the end of the year and all is forgiven".
I'll go along with that.
out.

Me too. I still hope this is not a permanent thing and they´ll get a clue soon.