My list of recommended releases for 2009

Hey John... I always enjoy your slant on music. I think I'll check out Eminent, based on the review.

Something caught my eye in the Bibleback review. You mentioned that their sound had elements of "symphonic death". I was completely unaware of such a sub-genre. Could you recommend someone in this sub-genre? Gracias.

Hey John... I always enjoy your slant on music. I think I'll check out Eminent, based on the review.

Something caught my eye in the Bibleback review. You mentioned that their sound had elements of "symphonic death". I was completely unaware of such a sub-genre. Could you recommend someone in this sub-genre? Gracias.

Thanks, Greg. Perhaps I am misusing the "symphonic death" moniker. I use it to refer to death metal bands that use a lot of keyboards and other orchestration. Examples include Fleshgod Apocalypse, Skyfire, Dimmu Borgir, older Therion.

Skyfire - Mind Revolution is one of the best releases in this style for me.

I've never heard of Bibleback, but I know I haven't come across too many Symphonic DEATH bands (as opposed to the Symphonic Black Metal bands that seem to be a dime a dozen these days). The one example I can think of right off the top of my head is Septic Flesh's "Communion" album. I can't really speak for their back catalog, but Communion atleast.