My PPX Haul

Apr 3, 2004
Nashville, TN
Hello all,

Every year at pp i buy my cd's first thing friday afternoon before the bands start playing. So this is what I bought before I knew who was playing at next year's show.

Primal Fear - 16.6 - I like the crunch of this cd but for some reason this one did not grab me like their previous release. The songs are good and I like them but this one will take repeated listens for me to totally enjoy. There are some instant classics on here and the guitar solos rip. Like this one and I know it will be one of my favorites just taking a little longer than normal to digest. I miss the screams!!!

Firewind - Burning Earth - I love Gus G and have started with their music with the newest and going backwards. This cd has great music and crunch but I DO NOT LIKE THE VOCALS. That alone will prevent me from listening to this one more. I know i am in the minority on this one but i like the more melodic vocals and the melodic style Gus is doing now.

Jorn - Spirit Black - Jorn can do no wrong in my book so this was a no brainer for me. If you like his previous stuff you will like this. Production is good and the songs are good and Jorn is in top notch. I like this one better than Lonley are the brave but not as much as the duke. I will always buy a jorn disc but i do hope you brings some of the faster paced songs back. I want another Storm Crow. Also, bring Viggo back, the guitar punch is lacking a little on this release. Overall, i like this one alot and it will get many spins.

Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition - One of the few prog bands i like. This cd smokes. These guys have some serious talent and i like the heavier side of this one. They brought the crunch up a bit and i like it. To me, these guys sound like Tool, Depech Mode and Pink Floyd all mixed together and I love it. Weird music but it sounds so good. The vocalist just gets better and better with each release. Great disc.

Delain - April Rain - Heard all the hype so figured why not. NICE DISC!! I love this type of stuff. Female voice is great and the melodies are very easy to find and follow. Very simplistic music but has that power crunch that gets me every time. This one is a good find and I am really looking forward to hearing them live. Thanks Glenn for another great band that i had never heard of.

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls - okay, another one that i heard the hype so i figured why not. I have to be honest, i was not expecting much. Put it in the player and HOLY SHIT, this is awesome stuff. The music is intricate but very melodic. Enough crunch to keep me interested and the solos from the keys and guitar are awesome. The vocals are AWESOME. I have a new favorite vocalist. this guy is amazing and i can't wait to see him live. These guys have quickly become one of my favorite bands. Glenn, thank you again for an awesome band!!! You are the man.

Here is what just came in that I will be listening to soon and giving my thoughts.

Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings
Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
DGM - Frame
Paradox - Electrify
Kip Winger - From the moon to the sun

Please give me your thoughts. I love seeing what you all think as well.

Thank you,

Brand

The 8th Sin is a MAJOR departure for the band.
While it has some catchy numbers, it is VERY commercial sounding.
Very radio friendly hard rock.

I saw them at Chicago Powerfest, and their performance still may be single handedly the greatest power metal performance I have ever seen.

I saw them at Chicago Powerfest, and their performance still may be single handedly the greatest power metal performance I have ever seen.

I was there also, and yes, that performance was the greatest power metal performance I seen. The harmonies those guys did were fantastic. I can't wait to see them again next year :headbang:

As far as 8th Sin, I think it's their second best CD. I can see where you're coming from with the 'commercial sounding', but I don't think it sounds that much different from Grand Illusion.

I think NR has three phases with their sound:

1st
In a Time of Blood and Fire
Tales of Mystery and Imagination
The Sacred Talisman

2nd
Afterlife
Shadowland
New World Messiah

3rd
Grand Illusion
The 8th Sin

I personally like phase 2 and 3 the best, but I was very surprised when I bought Afterlife when it came out and was like, what the shit, where are the songs about swords and medieval warriors. And there's no ballad, and who is this new singer? Now, I can't remember the last time I listened to The Sacred Talisman or Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

Yes on the new disc, but quite honestly I find that to be the case on all their stuff. I've tried to go to their myspace page and listen to samples on Amazon and have tried my damnest to get into these guys, but I just find them to be blah. They're the ONLY band of next year's lineup I'm not looking forward to. Maybe if you're right on the performance, I'll be able to get it. Future's End did that for me this past year, so maybe next it will be Nocturnal Rites.

Well, I have been on Nocturnal Rites from the beginning so I have an affinity for their early stuff...in fact I just listened to The Sacred Talisman the other day and I have been singing the choruses ever since..."and my death will be glorious/when my mission is done"..."your legend lives on...it's the destiny of bringing it all home". So many friggin good songs on that CD...the finale for original lead singer Anders Zackrisson. I am really looking forward to their performance at PPXI!!!

Back on topic...you will LOVE "Waiting in the Wings" by Seventh Wonder...in my opinion their finest work (sorry, I still have issues with the silly story being told on Mercy Falls).