My progressive black metal band - Dalla Nebbia

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
This is something that I've had going with my friend Jeremy from South Carolina for a little over a year now. Jeremy and I both are into black metal that goes far and away past the "traditional" Nordic sound (think bands like Blut Aus Nord or later Emperor...or even Agalloch/Empyrium/Dornenreich in some ways). And this is our pet project: Dalla Nebbia (band name means "from the fog" in Italian. These are songs we're submitting to labels just to see if there's interest, and I put them out to you, just so you can hear them and tell us what you think (good or bad). We know it's not for everyone, but we're proud of how this has turned out, given the fact that it's all put together by sending home recordings through email (and programmed drums b/c neither of us are strong enough to play some of the drum parts).

Jeremy writes just about ALL of the music and I write all of the lyrics and perform most of the vocals (we collaborate on cleans):

Check us out. If you go to the full YouTube page, you can read the lyrics, which are a big part of it for us:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5EP0OI5R6g&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYRtw9IShM&feature=feedu[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew.. your lyrics remind me of how my drummer writes his lyrics! It's nice to see another musician. :) Keep it up!

or even Agalloch/Empyrium/Dornenreich in some ways

And maybe one more Germanic band, Enid? It's remarkable how the high-string guitar tone on your stuff creates the same sound and feel of Enid's guitars (+synths?) And you might even use the same font. :)

http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=hidJS4I7E94

But then you guys mix it with the more Agalloch-ean acoustic folk vs. Enid's classical romanticism. Anyhow, good stuff, not nearly as disappointing as it could have been when teasing me with such a monumental triumvirate as Agalloch+Empyrium+Dornenreich! :D

Neil

Wow. That Enid band is quite similar. I had never heard of them until your post. Wow. I like it, though.

And yeah. The weather too. Most people here in Missouri have no idea about my taste for metal (other than seeing me in the occasional tshirt they don't recognize!)

This is pretty good stuff, but honestly, I feel like it comes too close to the bands who do this style of music to stand on its own wings you know? If that's what you're aiming for, to wear your influences on your sleeve, then that's cool. Can't fault you on that. However, I think that if you're aiming higher, you should definitely focus on keeping it a bit fresh and try something new. A tall order, and easier said than done of course -- but nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I definitely hear the talent in there so it's not impossible. :)

Other than that, I especially liked the use of clean vocals, but I feel the screams should be abit more pronounced and less "whisper" sounding and have a bit more bite, if you know what I mean. Music/atmosphere was really well done. I especially liked the last track. The dissonant parts were great, and impressed me alot more than the post-metal ish Agalloch influenced parts or the "proggier" Emperor ish parts.

hope my constructive criticism didn't offend you btw! <3

Hey, Jeremy here (the other half of Dalla Nebbia). I'm a newcomer on this forum and don't know any of you guys, but I appreciate your listening to our music and commenting.

There's some Agalloch and possibly a little bit of Empyrium influence in Dimmed Through the Smoke, but overall I would say this project (my part of it anyway) is actually more influenced by Arcturus's first album and Isa era Enslaved than any of the other bands mentioned on here. Windir is also a pretty big influence- just not really the folk part of their sound.

BTW I've never heard Enid either, but I'm going to check them out tomorrow.

I invoked the names of the aforementioned Agalloch and Empyrium to give people an idea that if you're looking for something like Tsjuder, it's not us. But somehow Arcturus slipped my mind as an influence. Of course them. :)

Oh yeah, I know. Those bands are definitely worth mentioning as comparison points, but I was just responding to the person who said we wear our influences on our sleeves.

Still a lot of Arcturus hate on the ProgPower forum, huh. Should I have thought about that before mentioning them?