My Radial JDI is breaking my balls [yet another HELP ME thread enclosed]

SimonTaddio_Qc

Headbanger
Feb 25, 2010
Quebec, Can
Hey guys,

So, here's the problem. I figured it would be easier to cut some DI tracks using my DI (Radial JDI) and recording both my DI and my actual amp at the same time, instead of tracking using ampsims and reamping later.

But when all is hooked up as it should be (100% positive here) pretty much all my gain in my DI track disappears. Here's a screenshot.
protoolsdiproblem.png
[/URL][/IMG]

The first region was recorded when my amp was hooked in the Radial's THRU, and 2nd region there was nothing hooked up in the THRU.

Is it something that just happens from splitting the signal, or am I having some other issues here?

Thanks a bunch,
Simon

I checked the merge button and it's off.
Even with just a tuner in the THRU, I can see (tho can't say I can really hear it being that obivious) some change in dynamics on the wave right in the DAW, but with my amp hooked up, it's like 20 times worse

Basically it can be normal, DI box in THRU mode acts like impedance parallel to amp impedance.
How amp tone is changing when playing guitar straight and by using DI THRU output?
Active splitting is better (i.e. active splitter or reamp box after mic pre).

I would say that my amp's tone doesn't change much from what I can tell, the problem seems to really be in the output's gain.
As for the gear, I tried both my ESP EC-II with EMG 81/60 [fresh batteries and all] and my Jackson RR24 with a passive Duncan SH-6 and I got the same problem.

When you mean active splitting, you're referring to an active DI, or something else? There's no practical way I can split past my mic pre at the moment, due to the gear I'm using.

Most input and THRU (Amp) output on DI boxes are just wired together like Y-cable, so part of guitar signal goes to amp and part to transformer or active buffer (in case of active DI).

If my $30 Whirlwind DI can do it with zero issues, your JDI must be defective/broken in some way.