Radial X-AMP vs. Radial Pro RMP (clips inside)

I think that...

• Total voters

CronosBeyond

Apr 5, 2007
Germany
www.far-beyond.com
So far I used a passive "Radial Pro RMP" for reamping my stuff. Because I was curious how the active "Radial X-Amp" sounds in comparison and I want a second output I bought it. Today it came and I made a little comparison. Perhaps some of you are interested in the results :) - as a blind test :D
I provided the files in WAV and MP3 format.

Recording chain:
  • ESP Ltd EC1000 with SD Blackouts -> MOTU 896 MKIII (1 Mohm Input)

Reamp chain:
  • MOTU -> Radial X-Amp/Rmp -> Maxon OD9+ -> Engl Steve Morse (Channel 3) -> Engl 4x12 (Celestion V30) -> Shure SM57 -> MOTU

And here are the files...

WAV:

MP3:

Here's the whole package in a zip file: zip

I'm curious about your votes :) An often heard opinion is that active DI/reverse DI boxes are better than passive ones. Let's see if it's the case here :p

Maybe better to use ground lift on ProRMP or transformer isolated output on X-Amp to get rid of 50 Hz pike.
To me both results seems slightly undergained. ProRMP can be easily modded to have large output level (transfer signal 1 to 1) and better frequency response.
Differense is minimal, but voted for 2nd variant.

Maybe better to use ground lift on ProRMP or transformer isolated output on X-Amp to get rid of 50 Hz pike.

GroundLift is activated on both boxes. I used the first output (direct) on the X-Amp. Is there a 50hz peak in the guitars?

To me both results seems slightly undergained.

I'm using not much gain on the amp. Sounds too muddy for me in the mix and I want to achieve clarity. Or do you mean something else with the term "undergained"? Output level on both boxes is set to full.

I also made a shootout for myself between those boxes, where it was a bit more obvious what the differences are.
Yours sound very similar but I would guess x-amp is 1 and pro rmp is 2.

First answer is the right one :)
Box 1 was the X-Amp, Box 2 the RMP.

Personally I didn't notice any difference :D

Cool, then I was right. But I have to add that I only could answer it because I made a shootout between those myself in the past. The x-amp is a bit darker, the RMP a bit brighter.
I have the modded RMP and I'm totally happy with it.

Cool, then I was right. But I have to add that I only could answer it because I made a shootout between those myself in the past. The x-amp is a bit darker, the RMP a bit brighter.
I have the modded RMP and I'm totally happy with it.

There's a little difference in the high frequency range, yes. You can hear it of you phase flip one of the files and play both stacked. But in the mix I don't hear that so I don't care :D

What's that modded RMP you're talking about? :)