My to-buy List - Thoughts, recommendations and death Threats are welcome

Shakermaker

Hufeisenbrille
Oct 28, 2001
Bern
I'm posting this here because a lot of people with good taste frequent this board and constructive responses are more probable here than anywhere else.
so, these are some albums that i intend to buy in the not too distant future - what do you think? what should i erase from the list, what should i change etc?

here goes:

darkthrone - transsilvanian hunger/under a funeral moon/a blaze in the northern sky
ulver - a quick fix of melancholy
charon - the dying daylights
aeternus - beyond the wandering moon/and so the night became (i probably won't be able to find wandering moon)
zyklon - aeon
eucharist - a velvet creation
forseti - windzeit
darkwood - flammende welt
moonsorrow - kivenkantaja
dimension zero - this is hell
myrkskog - death machine
limbonic art - don't know, please recommend something
saxon - don't know, please recommend something
edge of sanity - crimson II
vital remains - dechristianize
krisiun - works of carnage
the mars volta - deloused in the comatorium
alchemist - austral alien
negura bunget - the lates one :D
summoning - dol guldur
blazing eternity - a world to drown in
skepticism - lead & ether
exhumed - anatomy is destiny
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas

really? :D
well, i've heard that the rerelease of ABitnS is remastered - not tolerable. but i'll definitely buy the "old" re-release if i see it.

Any Ulver is good Ulver. If you like their non-metal material, you will most certainly enjoy a Quick Fix.

Vital Remains is growing on me, but it was worth the purchase just to hear the incredible guitarwork.

Crimson II... eh. So far it just doesn't hold my interest. I want to give it multiple listenings before fully judging it though, but don't expect the magic of the first one. At least I don't see it.

i've heard vowels off the new ulver and i love it. seems to be a must buy for me...
i've only heard good things about vital remains so far, which strengthens their position in my list...

i have crimson I right here, still sealed and everything. i thought it'd be nice to buy the second part and just listen through the whole saga at once :D

Shakermaker said:
aeternus - beyond the wandering moon/and so the night became (i probably won't be able to find wandering moon)

Definitely put these at the top of your list. BtWM is not that hard to find. Try www.martyrmusicgroup.com or www.redstream.org

eucharist - a velvet creation

THis is better than all of the pseudo melo-death coming out nowadays.

Good, but not their best.

myrkskog - death machine

To me, Myrkskog is a poor man's Zyklon.

edge of sanity - crimson II

It's not bad. Only if you have the $ to burn.

negura bunget - the lates one :D

Definitely get it.

summoning - dol guldur

Very good, although I prefer Stronghold and Minas Morgul. But all Summoning is essential.

I haven't been able to appreciate this one near as much as Stormcrowfleet, which is breathtaking.

It's a decent shopping list Shakermaker, and I agree with everything that's already been posted....my thoughts:

Shakermaker said:
forseti - windzeit
I need to check this one out myself. So I have no opinion, but Doom told me it was worth looking into.

Yes, but just make sure you have Voimasta Ja Kunniasta somewhere in your collection too.

limbonic art - don't know, please recommend something
I have Ad Noctum - it's nothing great IMO. I would go for Nokturnal Mortum anyday before Limbonic Art.

Yes - get Killing Ground. It's the only Saxon CD you'll need.

summoning - dol guldur
My fave Summoning CD.

blazing eternity - a world to drown in
Depends - do you like old Katatonia or new Katatonia? If the latter, then yes, it's good. Plug: http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/jaykeeley/blazing%20eternity/world_rev.htm. However, I prefer the former and so I like Times and Unkown Waters better.

This is the only Skepticism I have. I have to be in the mood to appreciate it fully. Widely considered to contain the most depressing song of all time ("March and the Stream") - well, at least that's what they say at www.doom-metal.com.

thanks guys, these answers are exactly what i needed...
so i'll probably get some nokturnal mortum. didn't they just release a new album?
i'll probably get myrkskog off the list. better get some obituary instead.

jaykeeley, i haven't yet heard the whole forseti album but i can safely say that you'll have to get it if you're into neo folk. ok, the german lyrics might be an obstacle, but the music speaks for itself. if you're into this style, i recommend you to check out darkwood as well (they're also in my list). they're another german neo folk band, yet they don't focus on nature worshipping and the likes but have a more ambient sound (they have an album which is keyboard-only). they sing about "the struggle of europe", the world wars and such stuff. i'm a sucker for that topic, so i was quite blown away when i listened to some songs off flammende welt. mighty good stuff, if you're into that historical approach (it's non-ideological, judging from the information i could gather on them). "conquer we shall" is a good song to start with, it's an acoustic guitar instrumental with a sample of a churchill speech - it's quite amazing how the speech is absolutely in sync with the music, as if winston was singing :D

Get the Ulver trilogy (Bergtatt/kveldssanger/nattens madrigal) and possibly the demo (10" hopefully still avalible from the end records) more Darkthrone and all Negura Bunget.

Shakermaker said:
zyklon - aeon

Just got this in the mail the other day... pretty damn good!
myrkskog - death machine
I like Superior Massacre better.
vital remains - dechristianize

This release cannot be dernied...

the mars volta - deloused in the comatorium
This album is actually really, really good.

alchemist - austral alien
Excellent choice!

exhumed - anatomy is destiny

Nectroticism Part 2 :kickass:

Shakermaker said:
jaykeeley, i haven't yet heard the whole forseti album but i can safely say that you'll have to get it if you're into neo folk. ok, the german lyrics might be an obstacle, but the music speaks for itself.
Yes, I will get this. I don't mind German lyrics at all - I don't mind EMPYRIUM singing in German, I don't mind TENHI singing in Finnish, and I don't mind FINNTROLL singing in Swedish. In fact, at times, I actually prefer bands to use their local language.

if you're into this style, i recommend you to check out darkwood as well (they're also in my list). they're another german neo folk band, yet they don't focus on nature worshipping and the likes but have a more ambient sound (they have an album which is keyboard-only). they sing about "the struggle of europe", the world wars and such stuff....
Woah, that does admittedly sound very good.

The only "issue" I have with neo-folk is when it begins to lean too much towards the 'ambient' side, because then you venture into 'spa music' territory where its all about relaxation, incense sticks, and calm moods. An example of that is Woodsmoke by NEST. Great album, very tranquil, but you can fall asleep to it too easily.

Ulver, Empyrium, or Agalloch on the other hand use the approach I like the best, where you are mesmerised by every note and nuance. The latest Negura Bunget is phenomenal for that reasoning.

Shakermaker said:
darkthrone - transsilvanian hunger/under a funeral moon/a blaze in the northern sky
Personally, I'd say don't before with Under A Funeral Moon...I mean, I'm not exactly big on kvlt tr00 Norwegian black metal, but this just seemed like the work of a ripoff merchant to me. It's ok, I suppose, but...

Power & The Glory. A Best Of might be in order as well...the early albums are good but patchy.

mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas
An essential purchase!

Anyone in the US ever ordered from Prophecy or Equilibrium Music? I'm thinking about ordering both Darkwood and Forseti but I don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery from Germany or Portugal.