My Top 10 (1997-2007)

Dec 16, 2002
www.facebook.com
I was curious the other day as to what my top 10 of the past decade would look like. After a little thought I came up with these. I'm sure I probably missed one or two that are very deserving, but this is close at least.

#1 Conception - Flow (1997)
#2 Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (1997)
#3 Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (2000)
#4 Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth (1998)
#5 Opeth - Still Life (1999)
#6 Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (2000)
#7 Evergrey - In Search Of Truth (2001)
#8 Symphony X - The Odyssey (2002)
#9 Mercenary - 11 Dreams (2004)
#10 Bruce Dickinson - Accident Of Birth (1997)

Britt

I think I might agree with you on your 4 through 7, but I would have to add Nevermore's Dead Heart and Opeth's Ghost Reveries to my list, as well as Nightwish- Once and Kamelot's Black Halo.

1. Angra - Fireworks (1998)
2. Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (1999)
3. Vanden Plas - Far Off Grace (1999)
4. ARK - Burn The Sun (2001)
5. Shaman - Ritual (2002)
6. Stratovarius - Visions (1997)
7. Conception - Flow (1997)
8. Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle-Earth (1998)
9. Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (1997)
10. Edguy - Theater of Salvation (1999)

I'm not 100% on the order, but those are the ten albums that came to mind.

I think I might agree with you on your 4 through 7, but I would have to add Nevermore's Dead Heart and Opeth's Ghost Reveries to my list, as well as Nightwish- Once and Kamelot's Black Halo.
Dead Hear & This Godless Endeavor would probably be in my top 20 if I expanded it.

Kamelot's Karma release would probably crack my top 20. I like The Black Halo a lot, but it hasn't stood the test of time yet. The latest release on my Top 10 was from 2004.

As for Nightwish .. Wishmaster is my favorite ... it might make my top 30 or so of the decade.

I'd put Blackwater Park over Ghost Reveries, but I think it's an awfully good disc.

Other ones that I could think of that could have slipped into the bottom of top 10 - top 20 are as follows.

Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
Superior - Ultima Ratio
Jag Panzer - Thane To The Throne
Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
PC69 - Electrified
Sanvoisen - Soul Seasons
Vanden Plas - Christ 0
King Diamond - The Puppet Master

I'm sure there are a few others I forgot about as well.

Britt

1. Angra - Fireworks (1998)
2. Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (1999)
3. Vanden Plas - Far Off Grace (1999)
4. ARK - Burn The Sun (2001)
5. Shaman - Ritual (2002)
6. Stratovarius - Visions (1997)
7. Conception - Flow (1997)
8. Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle-Earth (1998)
9. Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (1997)
10. Edguy - Theater of Salvation (1999)

I'm not 100% on the order, but those are the ten albums that came to mind.
There's a lot of good ones there as well. The VP, and Ark releases would be near my top 20 of the decade. Visions is an excellent disc as well. Suprisingly I'm not much of an Angra fan.

Britt

I only got into metal about four years ago, so I haven't heard several of the listed releases, but those that I have I've enjoyed (with the exception of Fireworks).

If I came up with a list it'd probably grounded largely in more recent releases as many of the albums widely held to be genre classics can never seem to hold my interest in quite the same way.

I only got into metal about four years ago, so I haven't heard several of the listed releases, but those that I have I've enjoyed (with the exception of Fireworks).

If I came up with a list it'd probably grounded largely in more recent releases as many of the albums widely held to be genre classics can never seem to hold my interest in quite the same way.

Fireworks is an album I hated for many years after I first heard it, but these days I'd consider it my third-favorite (maybe even second) Angra release, I do realize it's a bit of an 'oddbal' pick, however.

Fireworks is an album I hated for many years after I first heard it, but these days I'd consider it my third-favorite (maybe even second) Angra release, I do realize it's a bit of an 'oddbal' pick, however.

It might just be because I've never been a huge Matos fan (although he does have his moments), but I'd put Temple of Shadows at the top of my Angra list if I had to make the choice. :headbang:

It might just be because I've never been a huge Matos fan (although he does have his moments), but I'd put Temple of Shadows at the top of my Angra list if I had to make the choice. :headbang:

I have a very strong opinion on this issue, but it's probably better for me not to hijack the thread. :heh:

In no particular order. There are many other great bands and some I might find superior, but these are classics to me.

If no one has listened to all of this list in entirety before, they need to get that rectified.

1> Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
2> Blind Guardian - Night at the Opera
3> Iced Earth - Horror Show
4> Edguy - Theatre of Salvation
5> Edguy - Hellfire Club
6> Stratovarius - Destiny
7> Helloween - Better then Raw ( Time of the Oath is 1996 :( )
8> Gamma Ray - Somewhere out in Space
9> Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied
10> Hammerfall - Legacy of Kings

I was curious the other day as to what my top 10 of the past decade would look like. After a little thought I came up with these. I'm sure I probably missed one or two that are very deserving, but this is close at least.

#1 Conception - Flow (1997)
#2 Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (1997)
#3 Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (2000)
#4 Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth (1998)
#5 Opeth - Still Life (1999)
#6 Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (2000)
#7 Evergrey - In Search Of Truth (2001)
#8 Symphony X - The Odyssey (2002)
#9 Mercenary - 11 Dreams (2004)
#10 Bruce Dickinson - Accident Of Birth (1997)

Britt

Two Symphony X albums? Score! I would have almost the same list except for number 10. I would instead put up Iced Earth's "Something Wicked" album.