"Mystery producer remixes Death Magnetic"

You made some decent points, but it still sounds like cunt.

Well that's the point.
You need to have the shock effect in industry when you are being the "big fish".

By the effect of "disasterous production" it made people interested in the whole thing.
There's no good or bad promotion. Only promotion. I'ts like Madonna showing tits few days ago on concert.

I guess that Metallica "loudness war" effect and "return to thrash metal of early days" sold more copies that the music itself which gets really boring most of the times.

Personally I don't really care for Metallica.. I've listened to them since late 80's , stopped after Load ( Load was good album). I just followed their work after to see what they are doing now. Sure, their golden albums are important to me even today.
Just speaking my opinion on the whole thing. Like it or not.

Megadeth are still selling a bunch of albums, and their recent albums are seriously some of the best sounding albums in the genre. Endgame blew me away.

Well... my point was not technical aspect of loudness war. My point was that this debate over loudness war kept DM album on the front news, kept the talking about the album going on. As I said (I'm not that clever, some famous people said that) there is no bad promotion. Some would pay GREAT MONEY to be talked about on every production forum or any other forum. Normal person doesn't need to have a clue about loudness war. Metallica's production talk got them free advertising.

If DM had good production, people wouldn't talk about it so much. Mostly boring endless songs, uninspired (although I think The day that never comes is one of their best songs ever) writing and performing with some great moments.
The main thing is that it's done on purpose. Having in mind the fact that Metallica has enough money to have perfect production and hire any producer they want. We can only guess what purpose was that. My guess is this that I'm writing here. I could be wrong as it gets. It's just my opinion. I'm not shitting over anyone else because of their opinions.You can't expect that 99% of audience has golden ears and that Metallica and their management have shitty ears. If you hear clipping, be sure that Lars hears it even more. Those guys at major label, hear it even more.

Well, we're beating the dead horse here with this old and useless discussion.
Have a pleasant evening. Cheers everyone.
:kickass:

The main thing is that it's done on purpose. Having in mind the fact that Metallica has enough money to have perfect production and hire any producer they want. We can only guess what purpose was that.

I have no doubt it was done on purpose. Look at Rick Rubin's track record.

I don't think it's done on purpose to drive sales. The amount of people who are even aware of audio-differences is so small that it is negligible for any band. And especially for a band of Metallica's status. The album sold 490000 copies in the US in the first week and has reached 2 million in 2010. I'm pretty sure NONE of that was due to people trashtalking the production.

Slaven22: after 30 years on stage, you can be quite sure that Lars doesn't hear clipping all that well anymore. And guys in major label offices have generally never heard of clipping ...