Naberus - Drones (my latest mix)

This band needs some serious help on the production side when it comes to vocal writing. The patterns are just jumbled; definitely trying to cram too much into one space, especially in the verses.

Digging the first one more though, the tightness helps with how relatively loose a lot of the sounds are and it sounds fat and juicy instead of mushy.

Thanks guys. I could use your help if you're willing to listen again!

I'm tweaking this mix to get it finalized, and I've got two versions here to pick between:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285689/Naberus/40 Degrees 25.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285689/Naberus/40 Degrees 25 - Brit N.mp3

These aren't necessarily the finals, but I need some consensus opinion on which option sounds 'better' at the moment.

First one is da shit. The punch and separation is what this song needs, instead of the mushy Brit N. Smears shit too much.

I'd say the first one sounds like CLC on mixbus.. :loco:

Thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.

Based on all of this, and what the band have said, I'll probably stick with the first, which is the chain that I was building the mix through anyway. I'll leave it for the mastering engineer to attain 'da hugeness', and just stick to balancing things as well as possible.

For all those curious, the only difference between the two is that the first has VCC 4k on the mixbuss, whereas the 2nd has VCC Brit N.

@JeffTD: You're telling me! I had to mix all the damn things in a way that made sense, haha. I think it's a definite improvement over the vocal writing on the EP, but I agree with you that it still needs a bit of work/de-cluttering. I wasn't involved on the vocal producing front for this CD.

@Mago: As I've moved away from Nebula, I found that the midrange on my mixes started to sound less 'homogenized', and as a result we're getting more unique guitar tones from CD to CD here. Also, the guitar used for the rhythms is, hardware-wise, unlike any other guitar I've ever tracked so it definitely exerts its own tone upon the music.

@worldwideweapon: No CLC here, I'm afraid!

Love the 1st mix too \m/ I still really dislike the kick :p it just seems like the kind of kick of never go for in this kind of mix, I think as mentioned before, bit too clicky and stiff. More splat and fullness would be sick... That's literally the only thing I could complain about \m/

Oh, and speaking as the person who tracked most of this album, AMA was very set on his vocal lines etc. I was very lucky to change even a few melodies/ add harmonies etc! But the growth is there, so I'd like to think by album 2 his writing as a vocalist will be a lot more established :)

Nice little improvements. First clips rocks harder considering the guitars! Can't really put my finger on it, maybe volume / HPF thingie..

This time I prefer the first one (26), has just enough of that [Brit-N] thing the last one had too much of, makes it sound a bit less flat and "pro".

Cheers.

Here's where we've landed: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285689/Naberus/40 Degrees 27.mp3

The guitars are subject to change a bit as I go through the other songs and find a tone that works across the riffs. At the moment it could be a bit too subdued and lacking in aggression - though that has come with the benefit of the entire mix breathing more, and the leads becoming more pronounced.

I'm fairly content with the low-end and overall balances. Happy to leave the final 5% of 'excitement' to the mastering process. Might turn the snare down a bit though..