NAD Laney IRT Studio!

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Yay! I got my Laney Ironheart Studio today and so far love it. I have incorporated my Pod HD 500 into it via the 4 cable method and am either running direct with an impulse or through my Genz Benz G Flex cab. I love how it doesn't take up any extra space in my studio when I put it in my rack. I like the lead and rhythm sounds I can get with it. The clean channel is just okay though. One issue I have noticed is a popping noise when I switch onto the clean channel with the footswitch. I also notice the rhythm channel kinda farts out when I have the IRT's boost on. Actually at second look, the lead channel does the same thing just not as easily. It seems like when the input is too hot, it farts out.Maybe a preamp tube is bad or something? It sounds strange kinda like a broken speaker effect or if you take a distortion pedal and put it in front of an amp with its own distortion. Just not super noisy. I really like it though despite those too issues.

Here is a tone test I did real quick. Its going into a bad monkey pedal then into the amp and out into my cab. It's miked up with a 57. There isn't the problem I mentioned in this tone test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't checked out the clips yet but the boost thing sounds like normal behaviour. The boost is pretty linear, and if you run it at a high setting into a high gain tone you will overload the preamp and cause it to fart out. Either use less boost, or use a tube screamer type pedal instead which won't push as much bass into the amp.

I don't know what is causing the popping noise. I don't remember my IRT120h having that issue.

its not just the boost though. When I use my Pod HD500 with the 4 cable method, it does the same thing when running a pedal that adds significant gain to the input. I'll have to listen again with my real pedals though to see if they do the same thing. I didn't notice it first look. Maybe replacing the preamp tubes will help with this problem? I may just return it for another one to make sure it isn't defective.

It seems like if you run the input too hot, it farts out the amp and makes it sound kind of like a broken speaker of something. The boost function all the way up with high gain on the rhythm channel especially does this. I also tried running a distortion pedal(boss metalzone) in the clean channel to test the issue and the same thing happened. It sounds like it clipping the input. It's hard to describe but it sounds like its running through a broken speaker or something. I tried it both direct in with an impulse and through my cab.