NCD: Splawn 4x12 New Cab Day. Clips inside!

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
Rigv1.jpg

Meet my brand new Splawn cab, even the speakers are brand spanking new, not even broken in yet. The cab is 4x12 straight front and baffle, and loaded with fresh T75s. I chose the cab and the speakers because the combination gives me something very different than my Recto cab, which would be valuable for its character and for blending. The speakers need breaking in, but I still miked up a quick clip! One clip for each cab and a supermix clip, which is both cabs combined!

Bear in mind these are fresh out of box speakers, but for a first miking, not bad I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an absolute HARDCORE Splawn guy and will be buried with my Quickrod if I have anything to say about it. That being said, I despise their cabs. Go figure. They make them...small or something. Very odd sound. You should get one of their heads! :)
265078_10150704528135055_8278777_n.jpg

I must say that the Splawn was more pleasant to my ears. The mix was best out of three. NIIICEE!

Since the original Opeth version was of course recorded with T75's, I'm gravitating towards the Splawn for this clip, but the Mesa is more my flavor - the point though is now you've got variety, which is always a good thing!

I liked the mix best. Splawn by itself was a bit too muddy, and the Mesa was a bit harsh, but together they evened out pretty nicely.

the point though is now you've got variety, which is always a good thing!

Exactly!

Thanks again for the DIs Jaymz. Hard finding good postable material that has good drums and also good quality DIs, this definitely does the trick.

I liked the mix best. Splawn by itself was a bit too muddy, and the Mesa was a bit harsh, but together they evened out pretty nicely.

Yeah, I have high hopes for the mix of the two of them. I think as of right now it's not really coming to fruition though. Lots to do yet, I haven't even put a mic in front of all four speakers to see which one sounds the best. Lots of experimentation ahead, but I think this will turn out well. I really like the character these speakers have, much more flavorful than a V30, but tonally they have some catching up to do, which I am sure they will do in time.

It sounds like the Splawn tracks have a LP at like 5k compared to the Mesa tracks.

+1 to what Revolt said Thats my Nitro and it sounds amazing. The cabs never sound as full to me. A bit boxy compared to my marshall

splawn.jpg

It sounds like the Splawn tracks have a LP at like 5k compared to the Mesa tracks.

Yeah. I double checked the rig, I think it was a miking issue. Either way, I am going to wait until the speakers have some time on them before I post anymore clips.