need advice....(kangaroocore again, feat chris crocker)

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
I've already posted an earlier mix of this song...
I've totally changed the drums and bass since then (more air, a bit more dynamics in the snare etc).

I'm not 100% satisfied with the guitars, but I can't really fix them (no time for reamping, pickups had some fizz to start with etc)...I don't hate them though...I'm just saying that to avoid 95% of the comments being "guits are too fizzy and have too much gain"....

this is the tone we settled for (together with the band), and I can live with that ;)

anyway....tell me what you think and what's bugging you about this mix:

Chris Crocker

Love the drums man, what snare is that?

In fact, details on all the drums would be nice :)

snare is my Yamaha sd6455 miced with 2xsm57 through API.powerstroke3 head.

instead of Samples I wend the In Flames-, Soilwork-route and added a tiny bit of the dry piezo/trigger signal, just for the crack and inceased dynamics (I didn't compress the triggertrack, that way the crack is only audible on the loud hits....
(did this the first time,worked like a charm, will do it again ;) ).

Toms are Yamaha PowerV with emperor on top and ambassador on bottom, tom1 miced with 906, tom2 and 3 (floor) are Audix D2 through Focusrite preamps. MH channelstrip compression and EQ (as on snare), Ive posted the samples from this very session somewhere here on the board (search for "Lucy's Doll Samples" or so..I'll try to find them tomorrow if you can't find them).

Kick is a Sample of the kits kick (Yamaha PowerV as well), miced with D6 through safe sound audio P1, augmented with one or two other samples (I some clicky sample was involved).
processed the kick with the P1 compressor (on the way in) and with API comp and EQ in the mix

can't remeber what Cymbals we used...I Miced them with km184 through API.

just a tiny bit of API compression on the drumbus...no paralel compression or anything like that. no reverb on the drumbus (just on snare and toms)

Man, it would be awesome to have a sample of that snare with the trigger signal blended in. I'm definitely going to try that out next time!

What reverb(s) do you use these days?

I'll see if I can spare some samples...

for snare-tom reverb I'm using the Cubase4 roomworks...loving it.

I think SX3 has it as well, I can give you guys the settings

I really like the guitars but they're way too loud for my taste. Cymbals are kinda loud aswell and could have some more verb. for some reason the drum really sounds fake to me and isn't that punchy (as it is in your other mixes!). I still have to say that this makes the mix itself really clean. You can hear everything where it belongs. You said you worked that tone out with the band so I really prefer your "own" mixes :)

I really like the guitars but they're way too loud for my taste. Cymbals are kinda loud aswell and could have some more verb. for some reason the drum really sounds fake to me and isn't that punchy (as it is in your other mixes!). I still have to say that this makes the mix itself really clean. You can hear everything where it belongs. You said you worked that tone out with the band so I really prefer your "own" mixes :)

thanks..
yeah, I was kinda undecided first...but the more I listened to it the more I appreciated the airy snappyness of the drums.
I'm waiting for the final statement of the band, but I think this'll be pretty close to the final product.
(I'm digging the bassguitar on this one)

After this day I decided to give it another listen. I just found out that the drums aren't weak because of your mix but because of their songwriting. but that's just my taste. I still dislike the cymbals but thats probably because of their equipment.

bassguitar is cool!

The Kangaroocore tag really fckn cracks me up :)
I'm digging all aspects your production a lot. You always do a super job on the kicks especially. The Pearl kick on the last metalcore track you uploaded sounded a lot like Jonas Ekdahl's (Evergrey) natural hits on the new album Torn, but louder :)

+1 on the snare sample