Need critique on a mix

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I just finished up something I was working on for a brief few hours. It's basically just a little solo/riff thing, but more importantly what I'd like to know is how you guys would go about handling the low-end.

Mixing in the low-end has always been my biggest hurdle... at the moment it sounds as if the kick is causing the limiter to pump, but if I take the low-end away it seems like there's too little. Also, how would you guys slot a bass guitar into a mix like this?

Thanks a heap.

http://users.tpg.com.au/afiteam/solo_comp.mp3

Guitarsuite??

Wow.. that sounds good.. Moonlapse!

You are right about the kick, it pumps a bit too much, or causes this effect a bit too much on the limiter.. when the doubles kick in, you can hear this better.

There is no bass yet? i can imagine this sounding even fatter with bass in it.. also, you got the mix really wet, i like that a lot.. nice solo by the way!:headbang:

Yeah. I suppose I'll take off some 70Hz and below from the kick and see how it goes. I think the fact that the low-end sounds very empty to me without the kick 'pumping' is probably the fact that there's no bass and the rhythm guitars are pretty clean-cut in the low-end.

Yeah, I'll get around to sharing some settings a bit later in the day. It'll take a little while for me to write it all down, so what I'll prolly do is just snap some screenshots of GuitarSuite and the EQ.

I just revised the mix slightly and put it back up. I took care of some of the muddy low-end from the toms, and took out a resonant frequency in the kick around 150hz. I also reduced around the 74hz mark slightly.

I think I'll really need a bass part in this so I can A/B this to professional recordings and see how to deal with the low-end. At the moment it's not pumping as much, but still doesn't sound right to me.

prowlergrig said:
wow, cool tone... would you mind sharing some settings?

Here you go. These are the settings for the lead guitar. Rhythm is basically the same thing, just less gain, less mids, less highs and a notch around 1k.

Tubescreamer:

ts.jpg

JCM 900:

jcm.jpg

EQ:

eq.jpg

Although I'd imagine that all this doesn't mean much unless you have a similar guitar to me.