Need critique on this mix .

aspirinq

New Metal Member
Mar 18, 2013
ok , so i literally just started mixing and stuff . i came up with this in about an hour . its my first attempt , so any constructive criticism is welcome .

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen worse on first attempts. Really dry mix, seems like you did almost no mixing at all! But that's kind of a good thing, people who start tends to overdo everything and use plugins everywhere for no reason. With time you'll learn how to use those plugins according to what you try to achieve. On that song, I'd give more punch to the drum shells, plus get some presence out of those guitars, they sound too scooped.

I've seen worse on first attempts. Really dry mix, seems like you did almost no mixing at all! But that's kind of a good thing, people who start tends to overdo everything and use plugins everywhere for no reason. With time you'll learn how to use those plugins according to what you try to achieve. On that song, I'd give more punch to the drum shells, plus get some presence out of those guitars, they sound too scooped.
thanks , i'll try doing those things . mixing is fun so far , theres so much to learn though .

Start getting the drums to sound good is a tip. I would begin by carve out a lot of unnecessary mid freqs from the kick drum and also remove some high end from the cymbals, they are a bit too bright for my taste (could be because of MP3 conversion though).

Yes, the cymbals do sound like MP3 (Or some other compressed file format). I actually don't mind the kick though, it's punchy. At 0:18, you guitar goes out of tune. I would look at getting it set up well for low tunings and tuning stability. All in all though this is a good first mix, probably a lot better than my first mix!