Need help getting rid of guitar hiss

Trondsa

Feb 27, 2006
I am currently doing some studio recordings, but I keep getting unwanted "hiss"/high end on the guitars. I feel like I`ve tried "everything", but I`ve probably not. I am looking for nice "mid" tone for metal use, i.e. Sneap Arch Enemy sound, maybe Adam D.`s KSE, All That Remains etc.

The chain is:

PRS Custom 22 w/DiMarzio D-Sonic mic, 012-058 strings tuned in C, Diezel Herbert, ENGL Vintage cab with Cel. Vintage 30, SM57 & 421 mics, DDA preamps (big, good sounding analog mixer), 002R, PC with Pro Tools 7.1.

My other chain is the same, except that there`s a Genz Benz El Diablo 100 amp instead of the Diezel.

I`ve tried different micing placements, some EQing, but no luck.

Any suggestions/input is highly appreciated.

Have you used a Low-Pass Filter? Try filtering out everything above 12 or 14K (or lower, if you don't feel like you're losing anything important). Experiment with different curve types.

Before that though, work with mic placement. Moving the mic a little off-center will help get rid of that nasty fizz.

Good luck!

PRS Custom 22 w/DiMarzio D-Sonic mic, 012-058 strings tuned in C, Diezel Herbert, ENGL Vintage cab with Cel. Vintage 30, SM57 & 421 mics, DDA preamps (big, good sounding analog mixer), 002R, PC with Pro Tools 7.1.

My other chain is the same, except that there`s a Genz Benz El Diablo 100 amp instead of the Diezel.

I`ve tried different micing placements, some EQing, but no luck.

Any suggestions/input is highly appreciated.
Did you used both mics? That could give you some phase issues?! Try to set the SM57 1-2 inch away from the grill pointing onto the edge of the cone .. this should be a good starting point! Then try a low pass at ~ 12kHz like already mentioned

If nothing else works, do you hear the hiss that badly when the guitarist is playing the song or is it inbetween guitar parts/slower guitar parts/ect... that it comes out more? If you can't hear the hiss while they are playing constantly, use a gate.