Need Help Pricing Macbook Pro - All Advice/Opinions Welcome

Sep 6, 2012
Chicago, IL
So,

I've got a mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro essentially collecting dust.
A while ago it fell off of an ottoman and dented near the HDD. It was fine for a while, but began to slow down, and freeze. I took it in and had it repaired, they fixed up the dent as much as possible and replaced the drive with a 500GB Seagate HDD. This time it worked fine for roughly 6 months.

Now, I believe that somehow the hard drive corrupted, as I can only boot the Macbook from the OS disk, but it will not allow me to re-install it on the drive. I've gone into Disk Utility and attempted to repair, and erase the drive, only to end up with errors stating I cannot fix the drive. Other than this the only issues that I've had with the machine is that the battery life has significantly dwindled.

I really have no use for it anymore, and I never really wanted it to begin with, but it was a requirement for my courses in school.

A few of the random specs that I can remember off the top of my head:
Intel Core i5 processor, 2.53GHz
4GB DDR3 Memory (2 2GB sticks)
500GB Seagate HDD (may or may not be functional)

Anything more than that I'd have to find all of the papers that came with it. I still have the OSX and software discs that came with it, as well as the original box/carrying case type thing and charger.

I know I could take it in to either the Genius bar, or a certified repair/resale shop, but I'd rather get opinions and insight from someone/people that don't have an agenda to sell me anything or their services

Thanks for any input and help in advance!