Need help with a lead and rhythm guitar question

cvdpoel

Dec 17, 2011
Richmond, VA
www.soundcloud.com
Hey guys! So I'm currently mixing 5 songs for my band's EP (I know quite a bit about what I'm doing recording and mixing-wise, but I still have a couple questions)

So I was wondering what your guys' approach to getting an even guitar mix level. I have some songs where it's just two double tracked rhythm guitars the entire time, sometimes there will be a lead, sometimes there are two. What I'm asking I guess is how would you keep a guitar mix level, in cases where the lead doesn't play through the whole song? Ex: Just rhythm in the verses, then rhythm and a lead in the pre chorus and chorus, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!

You need to automate those parts if you have 2 rhythm guitars and on some part harmonies,leads lower down rhythm guitars for xxx -dbm on those parts and it's applicable on everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drum should be louder and humanize hits,guitars less harsh and considering this song have rock vibe try to adjust sound,verb or delay,and more EQ on everything.Can't hear bass guitar,clean guitar sound is ok.

You're gonna have to change a lot of that mix when you put vocals in there. If it were me, I'd go ahead and track vocals before I spent too much more time on the no-vox mix.