Need Help With Waves SSL 4000 Collection.

diegocasmo

May 29, 2012
Hey guys,

I tried to use the search function to see what I could find, but I didn't find what I was looking for. I was wondering if any of you know about a resource (tutorial type) about the Waves SSL 4000 Collection. I would like to learn more about them, like where am I suppose to use them in my chain, and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance,
-Diego Castillo.

Well, while u have the plugin open, there's a little question mark at the top of the window if that helps. Other than that it's all experience/preference. Is there a particular question u have?

Well, I know it might seem like a stupid question, but basically I have been reading a lot about plugins to emulate consoles (Nebula, VCC) and that stuff. So I was wondering if somehow that tiny analog touch is achieveable by using the Waves SSL 4000 Collection.

From my understanding the "analog" buttons in waves plugs only add some really quiet noise or hum, nothing more, nothing less. Any other analog qualities being simulated aren't affected by that button.

Where to use them: Anywhere you would use any eq or compressor. They're just a different flavor. They won't give you that console emulation that VCC/ nebula try to do though.

Where to use them: Anywhere you would use any eq or compressor. They're just a different flavor. They won't give you that console emulation that VCC/ nebula try to do though.

+1

Get Slate Digital VCC or similar if you want that analog console-ish effect.

Sometimes the analogue vibe can come from the make up gain in the compressors or channel strips. So adjust the gain coming into the plugins via trim knobs and you can then experiment with how hard you push the output of the plugins. Not part of the 4000 collection but that waves api 2500 compressor has incredible make up gain if you want to get a nice analogue sound.

Thanks a lot!

Why would anyone buy these plugins if they didnt know what they did ..... $600 is alot to pay for something you dont know what it does.

I do not own the plugins. I was just reading about this console type stuff and found this Waves Collection and thought they would do something similar. Sorry if I didn't explain well.

FWIW though... I do like the eq for some things and regularly switch between the SSL comp and the neve comp for drum compression duties. They're useful for sure, but def not console emulators.