Need opinions on an upcoming haul

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure if anyone can help me here, but i figure NAD, MFJ, Doomcifer and who knows who else might be in the know.

I'm planning on hauling 3-5 items from All that is Heavy/stonerrock.com mailorder. Are they good? reliable? cheap/fast shipping?

They have some pretty awesome stuff in stock. so far (out of the pile of things i want from them), i'm thinking

Witchcraft - s/t (either the cd or picLP, not sure yet)
Brant Bjork --> (WHICH ALBUM SHOULD I CHOOSE? I love Brant Bjork and the Operators - s/t)
Bigelf - Madhatter or the other EP they have. full lengths all sold out.

Maybe:
something by Sunn or Earth, Orange Goblin, Yob, Spirit Caravan, Burning Saviours, Boris (NEED more of this stuff soon!)

So, in general, any suggestions as to bands/albums/etc to get? Other distros that might be better?

Try to get "Flight of the Behemoth" by Sunn, I fucking dig that album. "Frequencies From Planet Ten" by Orange Goblin is a great, high-energy stoner/doom album. Neat effects. I HIGHLY reccomend Colour Haze, they're my favorite band right about now, I think. All of this is good, try to also get Witchcraft's new album if you can (if you do not have it)!

48 stoner threads in like 2 weeks, that's what i'm talkin' 'bout yo. :headbang:

stonerrock.com kicks ass, they have very fast shipping and aren't as expensive as they used to be.

i only have jalamanta from brant bjork, but it RULES. very chill desert album.

sunn O))) i would recommend starting with white1, but honestly anywhere is perfectly okay. have you heard them yet? they are kind of a get it / don't get it band.

solace - 13 is a must if you like real metal stoner, that album rules!

ufomammut is a very cool band, they are like a death metal band in a room full of burning w33d. very trippy, very heavy, very good.

Stonerrock is reliable, but their shipping ain't especially cheap.

As for recommendations, both Witchcraft albums are good, but I think the new one is better than their debut. Burning Saviors does a similar thing quite well. The new Yob is one of my favorite albums this year. If you don't get that I think The Illusion of Motion is as good. As for the rest of those bands, my knowledge of their catalogs has some holes. I've heard some of the new Earth, and plan on picking that up soon.

brant bjork is the original drummer from kyuss, he wrote and co-wrote quite a few tunes for them.

if that doesn't sell you, i'm not sure what will. :loco:

MFJ: i've got the newer Witchcraft album, and it smokes just as much as the debut (maybe a bit more in a different way)

NAD: Yea I've heard Sunn, never really clicked with me 'til recently, but all this stoner/doom/sludge/drone/feedback stuff has grabbed me by the fucking balls lately

also need to grab some Unida very very soon. "For the Working Man" was never officially released was it?

You might also check out:
Ramesses--ex-Electric Wizard--thick, acerbic sludge
OM--ex-Sleep. Much like Sleep. If you don't have Sleep's Holy Mountain you should get that right away.
Khanate--Capture and Release. A tough listen, but good stuff.
If you like drone you might check out the new Boris w/ Merzbow album.

if sunn O))) clicked, then definitely go for it. i've become pretty much a "gimme a band's best album and that's it" type of dude, but i own a bunch of sunn.

unida has two official albums: the best of wayne-gro (split EP with dozer) and coping with the urban coyote. the only other "official" is the unreleased album which is known as el coyote apparently.

and yeah, rammesses are good, so are khanate. i don't recommend khanate to anyone though, because they are... well, they are what they are and i'll leave it at that. :)

matt99: just got "Sleep's Holy Mountain" a week so, only listened to it twice and i was quite stoned both times.. sounded good but not much sticks out in retrospect. i've been stoned for a good 5 days straight, so now i'm kinda taking a sober look back at the music that showed up in the mail last week.

so far:

BRANT BJORK & OPERATORS - s/t :kickass::kickass::kickass:

PENTAGRAM - Day of Reckoning :kickass::kickass::kickass:

SLEEP - Sleep's Holy Mountain: (yet to be determined)

RISING DUST - s/t :erk: (thinking i made a mistake on buying this one..nothin' too wrong but not much that great either)

MANILLA ROAD - Gates of Fire :kickass:

SLOUGH FEG - s/t (haven't listened yet, heard it but not in a while)

Give the Rising Dust more time.

Stonerrock.com is an extremely reliable site to order from, alittle expensive at times but VERY VERY reliable and quick.

Colour Haze - Colour Haze
Ufomammut - Snailking
Brant Bjork - Jalamanta
Burning Saviours - Burning Saviours
YOB - The Unreal Never Lived
Isole - Forevermore
Spirit Caravan - Last Embrace

Get any of those 7...All are OUTSTANDING releases and very different from one another to boot.

Sigs turned off 'cause of that homoeroticism thing that happened on SOT back in the day.

The big ticket for this one is: which Brant Bjork album next? Based on the album covers, the angel ones looks least interesting/cool, but i hear they're all good! Maybe Jalamanta next, one of the stonnerrock reviewer people say it's in his top 10 of all time... can't fuck with that, now can i?

isole? meh, i still have to listen to that and the new pantheist. too serious for my moods lately.

Demilich said:
Sigs turned off 'cause of that homoeroticism thing that happened on SOT back in the day.

The big ticket for this one is: which Brant Bjork album next? Based on the album covers, the angel ones looks least interesting/cool, but i hear they're all good! Maybe Jalamanta next, one of the stonnerrock reviewer people say it's in his top 10 of all time... can't fuck with that, now can i?

isole? meh, i still have to listen to that and the new pantheist. too serious for my moods lately.

Dude, you know what. You need to get in contact with Against Nature (ex-Revelation) and pick up Appease, it just became available about 1.5 weeks ago. The next one, Panoply, is coming out soon too. It's limited to only 100 copies, signed by the band, so get it.

www.againstnature.us

I think the site may have some samples too. NAD should peep it too...fuckin' A.

Oh ya, and dl that shit in my sig. If you're lazy ---> http://www.planetgemini.net/

It's their newest one, Wizard's Blood. As usual, for free! :kickass:

Demilich said:
Witchcraft - s/t
must
Demilich said:
something by Sunn
dont do that to yourself
Demilich said:
Orange Goblin
first 2
Demilich said:
Spirit Caravan
Jug Fulla Sun, but buy some fuckin THE OBSESSED.
Demilich said:
Burning Saviours
yES
Against Nature are formed by some members of the first REVELATION lineup. I suggest you buy some Revelation first, especially "Yet So Far" (if you find it - ultra rare), if you dont find it, buy "Frozen Masque" which is a collection of demos with every song in it being a classic of traditional doom metal.

IOfTheStorm said:
Against Nature are formed by some members of the first REVELATION lineup. I suggest you buy some Revelation first, especially "Yet So Far" (if you find it - ultra rare), if you dont find it, buy "Frozen Masque" which is a collection of demos with every song in it being a classic of traditional doom metal.

Yep, Revelation are so fucking good, it is ridiculous. If you like Solitude Aeturnus, you will like Revelation. You can still get Frozen Masque over at Mikatonic Foundations new website.

jug fulla sun is hard to find, fuckin sucks because the one song from that album that i've heard HAUNTS MY SOUL.