need some vst keyboard, nightwish style

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Hey,
my new project gonna be nightwish style, with a bass guitar in the front, guitars in the back with tones of reverb, and i need to find some descent keyboard sound module.

any suggestions? what do the pro use? (i guess the answer is that its not a vsti..) :)

KORG all the way, Tuomas Holopainen uses them exclusively. Most of his sounds came from the KORG KARMA synthesizer and the TRINITY/TRITON workstations, which are outdated discontinued models. The cheapest way to get the "Nightwish" sounds would be the KORG M3 Module (desktop sound module) because the M3 series contain the classic TRITON soundbank and the KARMA engine.

Hope this helps.

Post a link to some YT video with an exact time at which the synth comes, then i may suggest some VSTi or even make a patch with the sound for you.

@ Mutant:
here it is mate-

thanks for your help, gonna check that korg legacy now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh without the Oasys or Triton it would be quite hard to replicate what the Karma technolgy can do...

Maybe people at KVR forums can help.

ok i tried the korg legacy vst.. i guess it quite far from that gothic style ..
or maybe i can find good patches for it?

ok i tried the korg legacy vst.. i guess it quite far from that gothic style ..
or maybe i can find good patches for it?

I wouldn't take any of the 3 newest Nightwish albums as reference as the symphonic sounds is not "just" a synth, but also real orchestras. On Century Child they used Joensuu City Orchestra and on Once, Dark Passion Play and Imaginarium was the London Philharmonic Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road, which costs like half a million for 8 days. Also not to dis your playing in any way, but just want to make sure: Are you a keyboard player and are you playing similar stuff as Tuomas? I mean, he is a world class keyboard player and could make even a toy Casio piano sound awesome and mouse programming some midi just doesn't sound the same, if you catch my drift.

Also Tuomas is Korg guy all the way...

Korg N364 – (retired) music workstation
Korg Triton – (Live) music workstation
Korg KARMA – music workstation
Korg OASYS – (Studio only) music workstation
Korg TRINITY – music workstation
Korg TR (x2) – (Dark Passion Play Tour, mainly used as MIDI controller keyboards) music workstation
Korg Kronos - music workstation

I wouldn't take any of the 2 newest Nightwish albums as reference as the symphonic sounds is not a synth, but real orchestras. On Century Child they used Joensuu City Orchestra and on Once, Dark Passion Play and Imaginarium was the London Philharmonic Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road, which costs like half a million for 8 days. Also not to dis your playing in any way, but just want to make sure: Are you a keyboard player and are you playing similar stuff as Tuomas?

haha no keyboard player at all.. just want some keybpoard ambience, something i will write in midi notes :).

I edited my post as I was writing it so your quote is slightly outdated :) But anyways. Make the music first, then try to add the midi in with a keyboard to get the slight "human error" element in and then tweak the sounds. Most likely will not sound even near as good as Nightwish, but at least give it a shot :)

sampletank would be cool too

I have Sampletank (and 4 other IK Multimedia synths that I got from their buy 1 get 5 deal) and I would say that the Miroslav is better for the symphonic stuff, but if you combine it with Sampletank, it will most likely sound nice.

My Miroslav test when I got the thing, do also note that I'm also not a keyboard player, so the performance is super robotic sounding because I programmed it:

Last edited by a moderator: