Need transportation advice in ATL

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
Here's my dilemma: I'm flying in to Atlanta for ProgPower on Thursday. The guys I'm flying with are flying back with the airplane. They'll need fuel. I'll need to get to the Grenada. So the problem is that all of the airports IN Atlanta are charging about $1.50 per gallon more than the national average for avgas. When you're buying around 70 gallons of fuel, that's a hell of a lot (around $100). So the best bet is to land outside of Atlanta. My problem is, how do I get to the Grenada from any of the outlying airports?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cobb County Airport-Mc Collum Field seems to be the best balance between reasonable fuel prices and distance.

Others that are cheaper, but further away are:
Peachtree City-Falcon Field
Berry Hill
Clayton Country-Tara Field
Stockmar

Can any native Atlanta people give me an advice on the best ground transportation means to get from any of these airports to Meca. . .errr. . . PP?

[/FONT]

Cobb County has a nascent* public bus system, CCT, that might help you get from McCollum Field down to Atlanta proper. I note there's a direct bus line from Town Center Mall (stops at JCPenney), not too far from McCollum Field, that goes to MARTA Arts Center Station -- which happens to be right by the venue. It's Route 10C here:

http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/cct.htm#routes

Of course, you'd still need to get from the airport to the mall, but you could probably call a cab or ask someone for a ride. It's only about 2-3 miles.

-=-=-
* that's a five-dollar word meaning "sorta new and not all that great" :)

Cobb County has a nascent* public bus system, CCT, that might help you get from McCollum Field down to Atlanta proper. I note there's a direct bus line from Town Center Mall (stops at JCPenney), not too far from McCollum Field, that goes to MARTA Arts Center Station -- which happens to be right by the venue. It's Route 10C here:

http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/cct.htm#routes

Of course, you'd still need to get from the airport to the mall, but you could probably call a cab or ask someone for a ride. It's only about 2-3 miles.

What he said... :)

--Mike

Hmm. The guys I'm flying with could drive us there in the crew car. Airports always have a car available for pilots who've flown in, for short-time use. That might work. <edit>Then again, it only runs after 3pm./edit>

Thanks!

<this is Yippee>
"When you have to be there on time, don't fly."

We left 1/2 hour late. The winds were stronger than forecast, and our plane performed worse than expected. That put us behind, and taking too long. So we had to stop for fuel. We stopped in Bowling Green, KY. After the stop, the right starter would not engage. We fiddled with it for 1/2 hour. Finally, some guy walked up and asked if we needed help. He was a certified Airframe and Powerplant mechanic. After him fiddling with it for about a half hour, we got it started. Nice guy. So we ended up on the ground for two hours in KY. We didn't get in to Cobb County until about 3:00.