I'm flying to Atlanta (help)

You can have 2 caryons.. basically one medium sized luggage, and one briefcase/purse/computer bag/backpack etc. I checkin most stuff because I frankly hate carrying luggage in the airport with me. My computer and book is enough ;) But yeah.. I'd keep my CDs on me on the return trip.

You'll be fine getting out. Signs are clear, and follow the flow of traffic =)

Is it easy to find the way out once u land? Im flying in on thursday and the guy imb unking with is picking me up and never been in ATL airport...

And im also just thinking bringing a bookbag for my junk, never flown before, I can carry that on the plane with me right and not the luggage thing where it can get lost?

yes, you can take a backpack on board, but you cant have ANY liquid containers over 3 ounces, regardless of how many actual ounces of stuff you have, this means: No shampoo, No liquid soap, no suntan lotion, no body lotion of any kind, actually. No water, no drinks, no gel deoderant etc

If you attempt to carry on more than 3 ounce containers, they WILL make you throw them away. It's not hard to find your way out of the ATL airport. Just follow the numerous directions in this thread. It's a little intimidating, but just follow the signs and the large groups of people going the same place you are: out.

You can have 2 caryons.. basically one medium sized luggage, and one briefcase/purse/computer bag/backpack etc. I checkin most stuff because I frankly hate carrying luggage in the airport with me. My computer and book is enough ;) But yeah.. I'd keep my CDs on me on the return trip.

You'll be fine getting out. Signs are clear, and follow the flow of traffic =)

Ok thanks :D

yes, you can take a backpack on board, but you cant have ANY liquid containers over 3 ounces, regardless of how many actual ounces of stuff you have, this means: No shampoo, No liquid soap, no suntan lotion, no body lotion of any kind, actually. No water, no drinks, no gel deoderant etc

If you attempt to carry on more than 3 ounce containers, they WILL make you throw them away. It's not hard to find your way out of the ATL airport. Just follow the numerous directions in this thread. It's a little intimidating, but just follow the signs and the large groups of people going the same place you are: out.

So I gotta buy some shampoo at a local drug store or something? ok :(

You can pack all those things in checked-in luggage. You just can't carry it on. But yeah you could go to a drug store and get the sample sizes. I have those for when I'm doing a short travel and don't want to spend the time waiting to pickup my luggage or whatever. If you wear contact lenses, you can bring with you onto the plane/through security saline solution, but it must be clearly marked (and baby formula if you have a baby.. you are bringing >_>).

Hotel rooms have shampoo and usually you can get more if you think the other people (if you are sharing) are going to use it up.

The first year, Yippee and I got a shuttle and it took us to the wrong Best Western (along with a couple other folks on the shuttle that were looking for the same hotel we were).

This year, I think we will be cabbing it rather than taking the MARTA as we'll be flying into some other airport not Atlanta's main one (as we'll be in a little plane and all). I kind of feel sad that I'll miss out on the whole MARTA experience this year.

There's a marta station right next to the PDK airport. It's the Chamblee station, and chances are, since it's a small airport, they'll have a shuttle that will drop you off there. It's really a short walk, but I'm not sure which side you'll be exiting from.

So for the first time ever, I'm flying down to PP. Is there anything I need to know to make my trip a little easier in terms of getting to Earthlink or other "must know" items about Atlanta's airport or any other aspect of the trip? I'm staying at the Atlanta Hilton and MARTA goes right by that so I should be good there. Any advice or tips?
I hope to actually get to meet you there this year, Woosta! Can you post a pic, please? Thanks!

If you attempt to carry on more than 3 ounce containers, they WILL make you throw them away.

A note for the ladies: this includes liquid eyeliner, mascara, liquid lip gloss, travel-size body sprays, and liquid foundation & concealer. Oh, and I imagine tubes of breath spray. So pretty much half the stuff in your purse :Smug: BUT, the good news is you don't have to throw it away or leave it in checked baggage. You have to put these things in the designated plastic baggies and run them through the X-RAY separately. Someone may inspect them by hand too. Since all these things are (usually) under 3 ounces, you can keep them in the carry on if they are in the plastic bag.

No .. ipods are allowed .. always have been allowable. Mine goes with me wherever I fly. You can't play it on takeoffs and landings, but that's the only restrictions.

Britt

Actually, they were banned for a short time last year when that U.K. terror plot was uncovered -- it might have just been on overseas flights, though.

A note for the ladies: this includes liquid eyeliner, mascara, liquid lip gloss, travel-size body sprays, and liquid foundation & concealer. Oh, and I imagine tubes of breath spray. So pretty much half the stuff in your purse :Smug: BUT, the good news is you don't have to throw it away or leave it in checked baggage. You have to put these things in the designated plastic baggies and run them through the X-RAY separately. Someone may inspect them by hand too. Since all these things are (usually) under 3 ounces, you can keep them in the carry on if they are in the plastic bag.

You can carry as many 3-oz or less containers as you want, but they all have to fit in one plastic bag no more than 1 qt. in size.

Oh and on the train, make sure you wait for baggage claim, which is after 'T-gate'.

No, don't tell them this! You're no fun at all!

Despite the presence of a sign there basically saying "Don't get off here," it's always funny for us ATL airport vets to see people get off at the T-Gates, look around blankly for a few seconds, realize that they're in the wrong place and try to scramble back aboard the train before the doors close. :lol:

I've noticed they're now switching over to calling that area "Concourse T" to avoid confusion, which is such a no-brainer I'm surprised it took them this long. Err, this is Atlanta. I'm not that surprised after all.

So I gotta buy some shampoo at a local drug store or something? ok :(

Nope, as others have said, go to any decent drugstore or Wal-Mart near you and pick up 'sample' size items. They're not too expensive and basically perfect for flying. Some stores are now calling them "travel" sizes, which I always thought was kinda the idea in the first place. :)

If you're being picked up at the airport, coordinate with your friend and have him swoop around to the proper side of the terminal, North or South, when you get there. The approaches and ramps at ATL are pretty good compared to most airports ("Great, you leave the airport....and here's a long traffic light?!"), and there are ramps that let you return back to the dropoff and pick-up area with no hassle. ("Terminal Return.") Just be sure your friend knows which terminal you'll be at.

Also, ATL has one level for departures and arrivals, unlike many airports that divide them onto two levels.

Nope, as others have said, go to any decent drugstore or Wal-Mart near you and pick up 'sample' size items. They're not too expensive and basically perfect for flying. Some stores are now calling them "travel" sizes, which I always thought was kinda the idea in the first place. :)

If you're being picked up at the airport, coordinate with your friend and have him swoop around to the proper side of the terminal, North or South, when you get there. The approaches and ramps at ATL are pretty good compared to most airports ("Great, you leave the airport....and here's a long traffic light?!"), and there are ramps that let you return back to the dropoff and pick-up area with no hassle. ("Terminal Return.") Just be sure your friend knows which terminal you'll be at.

Also, ATL has one level for departures and arrivals, unlike many airports that divide them onto two levels.

How do I know what terminal i'll be at? Only when I land?(never flown before if you dont know hehe)

Typically, Terminals are designated by which Airlines gate there. You can call your airline and find out, if you're getting picked up, otherwise, it shouldn't matter too much. Signs will point them in the right direction.

THANK YOU all for such great advice. I'm usually a 12-13 hour driver but I'm just too damn old to do that anymore. I'm noting all this fine advice right now and taking it with me!

Typically, Terminals are designated by which Airlines gate there. You can call your airline and find out, if you're getting picked up, otherwise, it shouldn't matter too much. Signs will point them in the right direction.

Yep. The thing that determines which terminal (North or South) you head for upon arrival is where your airline's baggage carousels are located. I think rms mentioned he was only taking carry-on luggage, and if that's the case, after you come up the escalators from the train platform, you could go to either terminal -- they're the same distance; the escalator is right smack in the middle. I personally prefer the North Terminal in this instance, since it tends to be a little less hectic than South.

If you have checked baggage to retrieve at Baggage Claim, however, you'll have to go to that terminal. Delta has the South Terminal and almost everyone else is at the North Terminal.

I've got a question for you Atlantans. I'm only going to be able to make the showcase on Thursday, as I work weekends. So I'm going to be flying in on Thursday, but then I'm flying back home early Friday morning. I know the show is going to end around 12:30, and according to the Marta site the trains stop running at 1:00. I don't really want to rent a hotel for just 5 hours so I figured I would just go back to the airport and sleep a couple hours at my gate (Tom Hanks style). Am I going to be able to get out of there and get to the airport using Marta? If I get on the train by 1:00, am I good? Or do I need to be at the airport by 1:00? Anyway, any advice you guys have would be awesome.