NEEED HELP soon before tomorrow

Jul 31, 2010
Okay so im recording a super tech deathmetal band tomorrow, we are recording the guitars DI for reamping later, because im going to be running the track through a bunch of different heads here.

what im wondering is if theres a way to record direct clean DI's into my interface, but be able to hear distortion from the pod farm 2.0 VST.

I don't really know much about this, so sorry if its a dumb Q i just need to know, because i think its going to be super hard for them to play only hearing there self Clean coming through for the guitar tracks while tracking.

i just need to have the distortion in real time as there tracking.

Tell me you own a D.I. box. It's not wise to try and monitor with a VST. I'm guessing you'll at least have latency issues, if nothing else, with what you hear from your monitors while trying to track.

You want to go:

-GUITAR-->D.I.-->D.I. out 1--> INTERFACE (track 1)
...........................D.I. out 2-->HEAD-->CAB -->MIC-->INTERFACE (track 2)

Track both the D.I. and miked cab signal onto separate tracks. Keep the monitoring for the D.I. tracks turned off, so that you hear only the amp track while recording. This helps with a number of things. It helps you check your D.I. track for errors after takes using the the miked track as a guideline. It also helps the morale of the player/band members while tracking and hearing playbacks. It's ok to delete them later after you reamp your D.I.'s

well normally what i do is just track the amps live so i never run into this problem, i have my cab already miced up and i keep the mic were its at so i just never fuck with it, but now im just needing something to do for now, just for tomorrow, I feel there should be a way to monitor the guitars coming from the VST, i have done this in the past when i had pro tools, but im using cubase and i just cant find a way for this to work.

Guess I'm old school. I never use plugins during tracking.

Well i normally do not at all, this is just something that would probably help a lot if i could figure out a way,im not worried about lag or anything, i have a rather high end custom PC, i like made the switch to cubase not to long ago, and like on pro tools 8 if i had the insert picked, it would just work in real time while they were tracking.

Yeah, load up a track in Cubase, do all the necessary routing for your sound card, slap pod farm on it and enable monitoring (that's the little speaker icon). This way you will hear the processed signal.
cubase.jpg

BTW never mind, i just spend hours trying to figure it out and i got it to work perfect, way different then in PT im just use to it just doing it without having to set it up to monitor