Negura Bunget - Om

Tom Strutton

Oct 23, 2006
Negura Bunget - Om
code666 - code 030 - 30th October 2006
by Tom Strutton

OM.jpg

Om is the fifth full-length studio opus from Transilvania’s Negura Bunget. Ten years on from the release of debut album Zirnindu-Sa and almost four years since 2003’s critically lauded N Crugu Bradului, Om is an admirable, mature and highly sensitive example of contemporary progressive black metal, likely to appeal in large measure to newcomers as well as the converted. At the core of Negura Bunget’s ideology (as outlined in some detail on the band’s official website) is a poetic and spiritual interpretation of ‘…the untouched land meant as Transilvania…a magic chosen place…’. As expected, the translation of such an ideology into musical terms is manifest in haunting and dense soundscapes that here avoid accusations of generic derivation through their sheer gusto; unlike many of its peers Om is stirring where it could easily be sterile. But this is only one of the tricks up Om’s mysterious sleeve – the inventive textures created and maintained right from the off are complemented by moments of rare harmonic sensibility typically alien to the genre. Harmony as propelled through melodic and chordal interaction is the order of the day, displaying an acute yet subtle awareness of the fact that isolated chord progressions themselves too often provide limited aural stimulus to more demanding listeners.

‘Esarul De Lumini’ is an ambitious behemoth of a track, swelling and diving over its 13-minute course. Its most pleasing aspect is its roominess: the time and space it affords the listener to digest it comfortably. Om really shines in its steadfast adherence to the spirit of progressive music, openly displaying the influence of early-seventies prog alongside contemporary forays into such territory. The jazz/world music vibe that introduces ‘Inarborat’ demonstrates exactly what sets Negura Bunget apart from their peers, whilst ‘Dedesuptul’ and ‘De Piatra’ leap confidently into traditional black metal stylistic territory without ever being in danger of sounding tired. Om comes highly recommended as a balanced and focused recording, winning extra points for successfully realizing the band’s spiritual ideology without ever seeming pretentious.

8.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Negura Bunget Website
Official code666 Website

Good review. I have listened many times now and this has knocked out "Blood in our Wells" as my number one for 2006. Should be listened to in it's entirety as to glean it's consistency. Brilliant document.

this is a masterpiece. brilliant in every aspect...
i cannot stop myself from listening to 'Hora Soraelui' all the time
this album is definitely in my top 3 of 2006 (just close behind Katatonia and Madder Mortem)

i never thought they would top 'n crugu ... but this one is a whole new level of ingenuity.

it just works on so many levels