NetFlix

SueNC

Southern born, metal bred
Dec 13, 2004
does anybody else use this service?
i've been thinking about trying it out for a long time and i finally broke down and decided to check it out.

right now they're having a 2 week free trial, so i signed up for the 2-movies per month package, which costs about $5.

it's not bad, at all. i watched my first movie online ['Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed'] and the second ['Mirrors'] arrived in the mail yesterday.

i have until Feb. 1 to cancel and pay nothing, but i may actually keep it.
i hate going to the video store and you have to time it just right to get new releases.
this is a lot more convenient.

I use it.
I get a couple of movies a week to watch while I'm on the bike trainer durring the winter.

They turn the movies around fast. I got an email today saying they got 2 and are sending 2. I'll have them in my box tomorow

How was 'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed'?

as far as documentaries go, good fodder for debate.
Ben Stein talked with quite a few professors and journalists who'd been either fired or denied tenure for just broaching the subject of Intelligent Design in their work and countered by talking with other professors and scientists that absolutely refuse to accept ID as a topic of discussion.

it wasnt overly emotional or gushing, but he did, without coming right out and stating his own feelings, explore the notion that society would be better without religion by exploring the philosophy behind Hitler's reign [Hitler was a student of Darwinism and expressed a belief in 'human engineering,' through survival of the fittest/natural selection].

at one point, he even got Richard Dawkins, of all people, to begrudgingly admit that there might be a 'fingerprint' of Intelligent Design at the beginnings of life [although he stopped short of admitting that he could believe in any type of god].
he did all this while calmly staring across the table at Dawkins in a way that made me believe that at any moment he was going to break out and say, 'Dawkins... Dawkins... Dawkins...'

if you have a genuine interest in the Evolution vs. Intelligent Design debate and whether ID should be allowed to at least be considered and open for discussion, this movie has a lot of meat to chew on.

the Mrs. just got Mirrors from Redbox. she was not impressed with it.

it had a couple of good spots, but overall, i wasnt impressed, either.

btw, what's the difference between NetFlix and Redbox? i heard Redbox mentioned somewhere else.

Redbox is a rental service kiosk machine...credit or debit card required....

$1 a night plus tax - pick up and drop off your video anywhere

$1 a night until you return it or 25 days, then its yours for good.

Decent collection - depending on local populatin and times you visit the redbox.

New releases both of theatricl on screen and direct to DVD stuff

does anybody else use this service?
i've been thinking about trying it out for a long time and i finally broke down and decided to check it out.
i hate going to the video store and you have to time it just right to get new releases.
this is a lot more convenient.

I use Blockbuster's mail service. Pretty good, I guess. Fast turnaround. Sometimes I hear about an obscure or older movie, get excited that they have it, only to discover there's probably only one copy in the entire U.S., and I'll be waiting for a while, like I did for "Richthofen and Brown" (one hundred ninety four days, I think). They let you trade in five discs a month for something in the store, which ordinarily is convenient.

Unless, of course, the store manager is a total prick, like where I am. I tried to trade in a disc, and ended up getting into a fight because I didn't have any ID with me at the time. I asked him if it was a fuckin DMV or something. He snapped, "You might be stealing my discs." I shouted, "How can I be stealing your disc when I'm dropping off mine?!?" He said, "You might've stolen that one from a mailbox." I told him to get out of my face with that offensive crap.

In the end, he relented but I couldn't even take out the disc because I had unknowingly exceeded the five-a-month limit. I felt like reaching over the counter and choking that fucker for wasting my time...

Jurched

What are you looking to watch? Westerns? Horror Films? I am a film historian so I can recommend away all day.

horror tends to be my favorite. they're not really making any good horror films these days. the last really good one i saw was 'The Descent.'

horror tends to be my favorite. they're not really making any good horror films these days. the last really good one i saw was 'The Descent.'

Well, Here are some much older ones if you are interested:

The Unknown (1927)
Mad Love (1935)
The Haunting (1963)
Don't Look now (1973)
Martin (1977)

And if you haven't seen Rosemary's Baby lately, it holds up nicely

Well, Here are some much older ones if you are interested:

The Unknown (1927)
Mad Love (1935)
The Haunting (1963)
Don't Look now (1973)
Martin (1977)

And if you haven't seen Rosemary's Baby lately, it holds up nicely

'Rosemary's Baby' is an old favorite.
i think i've heard of 'The Haunting' but i cant recall the particulars. i'll have to look into these. thanks.