Never had a good mic before

Kafka

May 29, 2012
Work
So I've been recording decent sounding recordings with some old audix mic and a shitty condenser that I can't even read the label on for years. However, I wanted to start on some new music and thought I should update my recording chain and went out and bought a sm57. Keep in mind this is only for electric guitar. I program everything else.

the problem...

So I run through a M-Audio fast track interface. I have tried all sorts of placements and input levels yet I cannot even somewhat get a decent sound out of it. what am I doing wrong? I tried eq and compressing...nothing.

Is there any guides or tips out there for getting the most out of a sm57? How loud do the pros typically have their amps when recording? My half stack is at about 9 o'clock and the mic is around 2-3 inches from the center of the cone. On the interface input, I am just a hair before any clipping happens and still the input is extremely weak. Like...the wavelengths are barely noticable.

Halp?

So you're describing two problems...

1. Tone issue: Need more info. What wrong with the guitar tone? Too muddy? Too bright? How does the amp sound in the room? If it's good in the room, then you need to work on getting the mic placement correct. Avoid dead center on the speaker, it'll be too fizzy and bright. Too close to the speaker outer edge and you'll find a dull tone. Adjust as needed.

2. Weak signal: I'm not familiar with the fast track, so maybe someone else can comment, but if you're almost clipping the preamp and the waveforms are weak, it makes me wonder if there is a setting somewhere that needs to be set differently.

Dave and Blue: I am running through a solid state B52 amp and a Crate 4x12.

52Crew: I am much more concerned about the weak signal. Would trying to record in Mono work better?

EDIT: I am in Logic Pro 9 using only the plug-ins available to me. Have never used a mastering program or anything of the sort.

ofc you have to record in Mono, an SM57 - like every other microphone that is not stereo - produces a Mono Signal. Get everything right from the beginning and then you'll have a great sound. Turn the amp up loud as hell, that will sound the best... :hotjump:

You're probably overthinking it. If it sounds good to the room, you place the microphone in a good spot and cut everything under 120Hz it's going to sound good.

As far as the wave forms looking small, do they sound really quiet as well? Are you sure you don't just have the wave forms shrunk down?

I use a Fast Track Pro all the time and never had any issues with it. And yes - record in mono!!

As far as the wave forms looking small, do they sound really quiet as well? Are you sure you don't just have the wave forms shrunk down?

I use a Fast Track Pro all the time and never had any issues with it. And yes - record in mono!!

It's not the Pro it is the Fast Track USB. The cheap 50 dollar unit. I began looking over it again and discovered that when in stereo, it only records on the right side. So that is an issue. Also, there was a button select for Line/Instrument and it was set for "Line" which I am assuming is a DI. I have reset it to "instrument" and I am getting ready to test it all out. Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I just rushed into things with the new mic and all and should have double checked all my settings before hand. :headbang:

turn on the phantom power. For unknown reasons dynamic mics get louder when I plug them through external phantom power to my m-audio interface