Which mic for vocals?

theforgotten

Dec 4, 2008
Kicevo,Republic of Macedonia
While ago I started recording a band and soon we'll need to record vocals since drums,basses and guitars are recorded for most of the songs so I wanted to ask which mic would be the best to use to record Testament,Exodus,Sylosis type of vocals.These are the mics that I have:

AKG Perception 100 Condenser Mic
Shure SM57
Shure SM58
Sennheiser E845

Thanks!

SM57 is a safe bet, i prefer it to the 58 as it doesn't have such a crazy amount of low mids.
The sennheiser is good but the supercardiod pattern would mean the vocalist would really have to stay on top of the mic.
Not used the AKG but if you're recording in a small untreated room it will pick up more room sound than the dynamics.

All in though it's best to use whatever mic most suits the vocal that you're recording, so try them all out and see which you prefer.

Well sm57 has a BOOM in the lowend region, while the SM7 doesn't, well at least that's what I hear. I got both those two mics and did some test!
Anyway my suggestion is: just try till you find the right mic!

cheers

Yeah, its a difficult one that has been discussed to death it seems! I figure SM7's may just be easier to mix. I really dont think you can say an SM7 provides higher quality, dunno :S

i'd prefer an Audio Technika 2020 over the AKG perception.
otherwise SM 58, it can sound very good on heavier vocals, but you may need a windbreak foam thing.

cheers
S.

i'd prefer an Audio Technika 2020 over the AKG perception.
otherwise SM 58, it can sound very good on heavier vocals, but you may need a windbreak foam thing.

cheers
S.

I'm not asking which mic to buy for recording vocals.Listed mics I own so I was asking which one from the list would be best for recording particular type of vocals.Thanks for replays!

From what i've heard, the SM57 sounds great even compared to an SM7. I've never understood the huge difference in price either, even after reading articles on it.

1. SM7 (flat) and SM57 with diaphragms equidistant through Buzz preamp.

SM7 (flat) through Buzz MA2

SM57 through Buzz MA2

2. SM7 (midboost) and SM57 with diaphragms equidistant through Buzz preamp.

SM7 (midboost) through Buzz MA2

SM57 through Buzz MA2

Have you tracked with an SM7? There's definitely a pretty substantial difference, though both mics have some similar characteristics. I'd describe the SM7 as being a more "refined" SM57, it's clearer/cleaner with better highs and lows. It doesn't have quite the edgy midrange punch that the 57 has (which can be good or bad).

I still haven't understood condensers well enough but I do know that I like them more than the 57 or 58 for vocals because they just pick up that nice sizzle and sparkle from the singer's vocal chords. I most likely will have to boost the highs on a 57 or 58 while I won't have to do that on a condenser. But there is a huge BUT... my vocalist screams so damn loud that he makes any "standard" condenser clip the signal internally. At first I was using a tube condenser mic which clipped EXTREMELY bad so I returned it immediately. Then I tried a Supreme CU1 (basically looks and sounds like an AKG Perception 100 so it's safe to say it's an AKG Perception clone) and it is much better than the tube condenser but still clips a little on the loudest performances.

Anyway, my advice would be to at least try the Perception and compare it to either of the 57 or 58 and see which one you like the most. Personally I just feel like a condenser gives me more detail to work with in the mix and it seems to suit my vocalist's voice well too.