Help with recording

Clarity1

New Metal Member
Apr 2, 2008
This is my first post on here so hi to all.

First of, i have a uni assignment and have chosen to record my metal band using the facilities at the university.

It will be recorded in protools using a mackie D8b, and a presonus going into pro tools.

The mics that are available are:

Audio technica 4033a
AKG D112
AKG C535
AKG Solidtube
AKG C4000
AKG C418
Shure SM58
Shure SM57
Shure Beta 58
Shure beta 57
Shure PG Drum kit pack
CAD M179
Oktava MC01
Rode NT2A
Audix D6

So could anyone here list which microphones would be best for each instruments, including all drums; the best ways to mic the instruments etc?

Also can someone recommend any good books to buy in preparation for the recording,mixing and mastering of this recording?

Also, state whether all are tracked "live" at once, or if you are overdubbing, you may be able to utilize all your mics in a broader manner...if that makes sense, and having a few different options for...say...the kick, or vox, or what have you, is not a bad thing. Different styles need different attention and the D112 may be better than the D6 for some sounds, or both at once....nice...each mic has it's own natural frequency response/eq curve and those tools are sometimes faster than fixing it later if you utilize them correctly.

Ive had a similiar assignment and i used

Kick- AKG D112 ( As close to the beater as possible)
Snare Top- SM57
Snare Bottom- Akg c1000s
Small tom- sm57
big tom sm57
floor tom sm57
Overheads- rode nt2

i haven't recorded guitars yet but ill be using an sm57 i imagine, also the d112 worked really well recording bass.

Hope this helps

Ive been told that the audix six is a great kick drum mic so i would advise you try that aswell.

Ok

Equipment:

Premier xpk custom (deep shell) drums
One kick drum and a iron cobra double pedal (belt)
1 mapex black panther snare
2 racks toms
1 floor

crashes - 18+19"
china 20"
hi hats 14"
ride 20"

Right handed drummer. Not sure if we will do it to a click yet, i am still yet to ask him.

Also not sure whether to record instruments individually or together, as i would imagine the drum mics would pick up a lot of spill if instruments were all recorded in the same room!?

The options for a guitar amp are:

Marshall MG100HDFX with MG412A cab
or a Peavey bandit 112 combo

I will experiment with miking the guitar amp both in the recording room and the mixer room.

Will it make a difference if i was to booth off the guitar amp when miking it?

All make use of distorted guitar sounds.

Bass
I will be using my ampeg svt 3pro and direct inject into the mixer.

If anyone has any comments about this please say!

Vocals

All shouty, screaming type vocals - no melodic singing.

So if anyone can give me information on what mics to use/ways to mic the instruments/boothing off etc etc it would be great

with those amps I would just go DI and use the free reamping here or use Wagner Sharp with impulses or something like that.
I really hate the sound of the Marshall MG, heard some good samples recorded with the Peavey Bandit and impulses but I think you could get a better sound with good plugins.

omg....

try typing 'impulses' in thee

search function, search function, search function, search function,

!

:)

omg....

try typing 'impulses' in thee

!

:)

Didn't get a clear answer mate

So can anyone give me any advice on what mics from the above would be best suited to each instrument?

What's impulses mate?

An impelling force; an impetus.
The motion produced by such a force.
A sudden wish or urge that prompts an unpremeditated act or feeling; an abrupt inclination: had an impulse to run away; an impulse of regret that made me hesitate; bought a hat on impulse.
A motivating force or tendency: "Respect for the liberty of others is not a natural impulse in most men" (Bertrand Russell).
Electronics A surge of electrical power in one direction.
Physics The product obtained by multiplying the average value of a force by the time during which it acts. The impulse equals the change in momentum produced by the force in this time interval.
Physiology The electrochemical transmission of a signal along a nerve fiber that produces an excitatory or inhibitory response at a target tissue, such as a muscle or another nerve. :heh:

Missing DSP description...
Impulse is response of a electronic system to pulse signal.
So it is called impulse response or simply impulse...

This is my first post here, so Hello!

First of all, do your research on this forum. For drums read Oz's guide to acoustic drums for metal. Its all in there. Theres also a guide to using impulses.

These questions come up all the time, and if this board is like any of the others I go on, people don't have much time for people who are too lazy to search and read up on what they are supposed to be doing.

You basically asked us how to track a band. So what exactly are they teaching you at this university?

The key is to experiment.

Guitars- SM57 pointing directly at where the dustcap joins the rest of the speaker. Then, try add another mic off axis pointing towoards the middle of the speaker, using headphones and moving it untill it is in phase with the other mic. This should get you close. Try this on each amp and decide which one sounds the best. EQ out the fizz and put a low cut filter on it to stop it getting in the way of the bass guitar.

Bass- Most important thing is new strings. You seem to have it covered, record one DI, and one amp, blend to taste.

Drums- D6 on bass drum, not stupidly close to the beater. experimenting is the key.
Start with an SM57 on the top and bottom of the snare and blend to taste. Use 57's on the toms, or if you run out use the PG drum mics. Add a cheap and linear sounding reverb, make sure they arent dull as hell. New heads on the whole kit will make a killer recording. I don't know about snare and tom heads, do your research, but the evans EMAD is an amazing bass drum head. As for overheads, experiment. Try a stereo pair, and a room mic, watching out for phase (as with the rest of the kit). Compress the fuck ot of the room mic. This should get you good results.

Vocals- Go through and see which sounds the best. If your singer can't stand still try an SM58, but it wont be amazing.

This should get you fine results, nothing special, nothing appauling, unless your guitar tone is sickening.

Joe

Ok i have done some experimenting with miking and figured a few things out.

I am definitely using the d6 for the kick drum. I compared that and the d112 in protools and the difference is incredible.

For snare i will be using the sm57

I have read the "acoustic drums" article all the way through which gave me a much better understanding.

Now for guitar i intend to use the sm57 and the d112 as they both sounded great.

Now can anyone give me some different ways of miking the guitar to try out?

Also would it be possible to mik the guitar amp with both microphones simultaneously to get the rhythm section downto save time?
i.e sm57 on one side of speaker and d112 on other?

As for vocals the singer has said that he would prefer to use an sm58 because he will feel more at ease doing so. I noticed in the Vision of disorder (imprint) album artwork that he is also singing straight into the mic... Will there be a problem with doing this.

Also due to the sm58 having a built in pop shield i am gathering i won't require an external one?

Help much appreciated