Nevermore - Missing Curran?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I saw Nevermore (for the 6th time) this past Saturday night in Philly. I'd have to say, that while they sounded good (especially Warrell's vocals) they lacked energy. It was easily their worst performance of the six.

Warrell spent a large part of the evening walking from one side of the stage to the other. His energy level was down a great deal from the "Dead Heart" tour, and a good deal from their BW & BK appearance. Jim's energy level was also noticeably lower.

I have to wonder if maybe they are a little frustrated by their current situation. I have to believe that they hoped that “Enemies” would launch them to the next level. Unfortunately, due to the production issues, “Enemies” has most likely had the opposite effect. Add into this equation that they would probably prefer to be headlining, and that they are dealing with the stresses of negotiating a new record contract, and I think it’s effecting their live performance. Obviously, this is just conjecture.

Maybe my expectations of what a Nevermore show should be are too high. However, I think they made serious error in judgment in not asking Curran to be a permanent member of the band. Both his energy, and the way he presents his energy, are superior to any of Nevermore's permanent members. Replacing Curran with Steve Smyth, who offers little in the way of energy or presence, only exacerbates the problem.

I'm sure some will disagree. It’s just my $0.02.

GZ

I didn't think they were lacking in energy.. but then again, we had a lot of interaction with them between the floor and the stage, so that could've helped the feeling ..

maybe the band didnt lack energy, but you did because youve seen them six time.

ive seen arch enemy 8 times live, and while theyre a fun, great live band with INTENSE ENERGY, after about the 6th time I noticed the same feeling you just described except for the members themselves....mike amott always has TONS of energy.

Devy_Metal said:
haha exactly :lol:
nevermore were awesome, both onstage and off :headbang:

EpicKeary_Squid_on_night_dive.jpg

sexy.jpg

I AM the leafslaying basketeer. Fear me!!!

It's just a flesh wound...
Carnivorous Cheeses!!!
www.renegadejuggling.com
www.gypsyrose.com
www.mcphee.com

Devy_Metal said:
Certainly a possibility. However, when I say "energy", I'm not speaking of it in some intangible way. They simply didn't move as much, and when they did move, it didn't seem like they did so with the same intensity. Beyond my own perception, I've read similar criticisms in other reviews. Which obviously doesn't make it a fact, but it would seem I'm not alone on this.

As for Curran not touring with Nevermore, it's because he's now a full-time member of Annihilator. However, he only took that gig (at least from what I've heard) because Nevermore was unwilling to make him a permanent member. Why? I'm not sure. Neither side has been real clear on that issue. I've heard rumors that Warrell wanted him in, but Jeff didn't. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

GZ

ms. anthrope said:
they didn't want curran in the band for various reasons, and as for as "steve lacking energy or presence," i highly DISAGREE.

how would you know?! its not like you know him personally! hahahahaha

from what i saw of Steve on stage, he had a good presence (hey, where am i to complain?) i would have been able to pay attention more if i could actually see him over the hands of the people in front of me

dead6skin6mask6 said:
how would you know?! its not like you know him personally! hahahahaha

from what i saw of Steve on stage, he had a good presence (hey, where am i to complain?) i would have been able to pay attention more if i could actually see him over the hands of the people in front of me

very funny ;).

General Zod said:
Certainly a possibility. However, when I say "energy", I'm not speaking of it in some intangible way. They simply didn't move as much, and when they did move, it didn't seem like they did so with the same intensity. Beyond my own perception, I've read similar criticisms in other reviews. Which obviously doesn't make it a fact, but it would seem I'm not alone on this.

As for Curran not touring with Nevermore, it's because he's now a full-time member of Annihilator. However, he only took that gig (at least from what I've heard) because Nevermore was unwilling to make him a permanent member. Why? I'm not sure. Neither side has been real clear on that issue. I've heard rumors that Warrell wanted him in, but Jeff didn't. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

GZ

granted, i've seen steve play many gigs w/testament and dragonlord, and he's nuts on stage! nevermore has a different stage set-up...

you "kind of" answered your own question. if they didn't want curran as a full-time member, there is obviously a good reason. perhaps they didn't get along? warrel and company are classy guys who choose not to air dirty laundry.

ms. anthrope said:
warrel and company are classy guys who choose not to air dirty laundry.
Might be. What I have heard about the 'dirty laundry' didn't come from them. But they were still sources I can 100% trust.

No need to be embarrassed, it happens. I was flattered anyway. His goatee is much thinner though :tickled:

You should have introduced me to the other UM'ers that were ther though, you bastard :p