Nevermore unplugged?

Brett

------
Aug 31, 2003
I was talking to a friend of mine on how good Nevermore's songs would sound acoustic and it got me thinking.

Let's say that they put on a one time acoustic performance. What song's would you want on the list?

This is really fucking hard. They have a shitload of great songs that would sound good acousticly, but I decided that enforcing a 10 song only rule would make the game more fun.

This is my list in no order.

Beyond Within
Evolution 169
Matricide
The Learning
Dreaming Neon Black
No More Will
The River Dragon Has Come
Sanity Assassin
Lost
The Sorrowed Man
Who Decides

What are your picks?

reubenlikesopethandjesus.jpg

Pyrus said:
IMO, it would sound like shit unplugged. Metal is written with electric distortion in mind, and taking it out completely emasculates the music.

I disagree. I mean, if a band like Annihilator or Testament were to do an unplugged show, It would sound like shit. But Nevermore adds a shitload of emotion in their songs that a lot of metal bands don't. That's why I think Nevermore unplugged would be a good idea.

So Reuben, you finally came around and like Opeth now? :tickled:

Are you saying Annihilator and Testament don't have emotion in their music? You better pray to god you ain't sayin that, boy.

Emotion is not the point...the fact is that these songs are written by people who play distorted instruments, for distorted instruments. I guess I could hear something like Heart Collector or Tomorrow Turned (where the distorted parts aren't prevalent...Who Decides, even, wouldn't work cause of the heavy sections), but Beyond Within or Lost would just sound so fucking hollow and wimpy. "Maximum whiffle-ball effect" I believe describes it well.

Prediciton: Every time I type something about metalness or heavy music or whatever, Matt's going to post that picture.

Pyrus said:
Are you saying Annihilator and Testament don't have emotion in their music? You better pray to god you ain't sayin that, boy.

Emotion is not the point...the fact is that these songs are written by people who play distorted instruments, for distorted instruments. I guess I could hear something like Heart Collector or Tomorrow Turned (where the distorted parts aren't prevalent...Who Decides, even, wouldn't work cause of the heavy sections), but Beyond Within or Lost would just sound so fucking hollow and wimpy. "Maximum whiffle-ball effect" I believe describes it well.

Prediciton: Every time I type something about metalness or heavy music or whatever, Matt's going to post that picture.

Yeah, I can see that I offended you. my bad... :erk:

No, I'm not saying that Annihilator and Testament don't have emotion because they do. Just a different kind of emotion than Nevermore. It's kind of hard to explain. But Annihilator and Testament have a shitload more emotion than these nu metal "I hate my mom and daddy for making me eat my dinner" bands.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe i'm right. who knows

Oh well. Thrash still rules.

Pyrus said:

yeah Brett, you have two crazy Thrash heads in this channel to deal with, with comments like that :tickled:
but since i know you, i know you mean well!

(*puts Pyrus back in the crate and hands him a treat*)
BUT NEXT TIME!!!! im letting the jewfrom on you!!!

anyways............. :cool:

dont hurry to go against an acustic show of nevermore, i think the idea itself can be a KILLER
but they have to perform certain songs, the slow ones will be great acustic, and the others have to be "re-written" for an acustic show.
One thing i hate about bands that go "unplugged" is that they dont even make any effort to adjust the songs to the accustic instruments, they just go, and play their songs "as is" on different instruments....
i hate that
a brilliant accustic artist, (for example: Layla by Eric Clapto- the original song VS the accustic one) will make the songs sound a bit different and interesting.
see my point?
therefore, if Nevermore will do the same- it can be A KILLER

The Sanity Assassin
The Sorrowed Man
Chances Three
Dreaming Neon Black
The Hurting Words
Precognition
Who Decides
Passenger
All Play Dead (would be interesting when it gets to the solo, though haha)
Cenotaph
Forever

i think these will go over reaaaaally well

Dead_Lioness said:
yeah Brett, you have two crazy Thrash heads in this channel to deal with, with comments like that :tickled:
but since i know you, i know you mean well!

I'm hurt... ...:( ...I'm a thrash head too... :(

Dead_Lioness said:
(*puts Pyrus back in the crate and hands him a treat*)
BUT NEXT TIME!!!! im letting the jewfrom on you!!!
:lol:

Dead_Lioness said:
anyways............. :cool:

dont hurry to go against an acustic show of nevermore, i think the idea itself can be a KILLER
but they have to perform certain songs, the slow ones will be great acustic, and the others have to be "re-written" for an acustic show.
One thing i hate about bands that go "unplugged" is that they dont even make any effort to adjust the songs to the accustic instruments, they just go, and play their songs "as is" on different instruments....
i hate that
a brilliant accustic artist, (for example: Layla by Eric Clapto- the original song VS the accustic one) will make the songs sound a bit different and interesting.
see my point?
therefore, if Nevermore will do the same- it can be A KILLER

Agreed ... 100% but i think the downtuning thing would sound hella strange on acoustic... Nevermore's sound rely too much on downtuning and I wonder how an acoustif guitar would sound when tuned this low...

Larf03 said:
I'm hurt... ...:( ...I'm a thrash head too... :(

you are so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*puts fred in a different cage and hangs the key on her neck*

now Brett, you be careful, not only a jewfro will attack you,
but also a guy from Quebec!

*licks the key with an evil smile*

;)