New Agalloch & Voi Vod songs up....

Killer songs by both bands! Looking forward to both the albums when they finally hit. This year is going to be a strong year for metal me thinks.

Thanks for the links, Zekeyou. Both sound impressive. It will also be interesting to hear Voivod's "from beyond the grave" release. For one reason or another, it's always been one of those bands I'd have liked to know more about but never got passed buying only one or two releases. I'll work on that. :)

I loved the new Agalloch track. I'm going to listen to the Voivod song some more. I really, really want Katorz to be a good album, but I was not too impressed with the song. I definitely did not care for their reunion effort. Everything from Nothingface to (especially) The Outer Limits is mindblowing, however.

-Alec

np: Amebix - Arise

AGALLOCH unveil artwork and tracklisting for 'Ashes Against The Grain'

The Pacific Northwest’s Agalloch have unveiled the tracklisting and artwork for their forthcoming album “Ashes Against The Grain” on THE END RECORDS. The album is the follow-up to the critically–acclaimed 2002 opus “The Mantle.”

A new track, titled “Falling Snow,” is available now on THE END RECORDS’ sampler Alternate Endings: A Diverse Sound Collective Featuring A Distinguished Ensemble and can also be downloaded here: http://www.theendrecords.com/label/var/altend/

INFO

agallochasheslarge.jpg

AGALLOCH - Ashes Against The Grain
The End Records 2006
TE068
59:51

Track listing:
1. Limbs
2. Falling Snow
3. This White Mountain On Which You Will Die
4. Fire Above, Ice Below
5. Not Unlike The Waves
6. Our Fortress Is Burning... I
7. Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
8. Our Fortress Is Burning... III - The Grain

A few words about the album from vocalist/guitarist John Haughm:

The album sounds distinctively like Agalloch but heavier and with elements of pure black metal, folky Scandinavian prog, and a touch of post rock. I was heavily influenced by recordings like Thule's "Natt" album while writing "Limbs" and "Fire Above, Ice Below" and you can definitely hear that sort of brooding darkness in those songs. "Not Unlike The Waves" is easily the heaviest thing we've ever recorded; yet at its foundation it is a neo-folk song. There's also some up-tempo material like "Falling Snow" and moments of total ambience as well. This is definitely not an album that can be judged by one or two songs. Everything flows together as a dynamic whole and the red thread of the lyrics holds the album together.

The lyrics this time unfold as an abstract and surreal folk tale. Although there is a framework of a concept, I wanted to create more of a dreamlike feeling with words than to merely "tell a story." My source of inspiration for the lyrics came from the surreal films of Alejandro Jodorowsky, Andrei Tarkovsky, and Sergei Parajanov as well as Northern Folklore and myths, Siberian Vodka, and the crumbling world around us all.

"Ashes Against The Grain" will be released in standard jewel case and digipack formats. The digipack will contain different artwork, courtesy of Tolonen from Nest. There is also a plan for a vinyl edition to be released a couple months after the CD.

A studio gallery is available here: http://www.audiosavant.com/agalloch

More:
Check out AGALLOCH @ Myspace.com: www.myspace.com/agalloch

http://www.theendrecords.com/label_new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=356&Itemid=49

I almost creamed my pants when I listened to the song while reading John Haughm's comments. This is gonna be my album of the year, I am damn sure. I have waited for this album for years man, haha!

After 'the grey', I thought they're moving in more mellow progressive directions, but now it turns out that Agalloch 2006 are HEAVY! Hahaaaa! I'm getting quite enthusiastic, he? =)