New album Foregone out February 2023

I don't want to hear Lindberg at all. His voice is a joke. So I prefer to hear the album version. The same goes with IF.

I don't want to hear Lindberg at all. His voice is a joke. So I prefer to hear the album version. The same goes with IF.
Fair enough. Though he can do the talking parts live, so some tracks from new album works, to some degree.

On my part, I don't think that I share anything in common with the people that has grown up listening to Linkin Park or Static X. Even if it's still metal is a total different world.
I grew up with Adema, which I'm still fond of, and Disturbed, which used to be okay-ish, after I did revisit. Not sure on your other interests besides MDM, but I'm pretty sure we do share some similarities as well, regardless of starter packages. Although I'm not really interested in looking for new nu metal bands or going back to the ones I used to listen.

Reactions: Xpyro125
I grew up listening to... Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Helloween, Slayer... That kind of bands. I have a dislike for nu metal, metalcore and modern metal with a few exceptions. I don't find any of those styles appealing at all. When I discovered MDM that was like my mind exploded. I was amazed by the mix of brutality and melody.

Now, in the old times, IF sound was like an evolution from everything that I gre up with. Now, to me, they sound similar to any other modern metal band with almost zero influence from the classics. They feel like they grew up listening to a different music than I did, which is not true.

trust me, you don't want to hear Lindberg on that one.

Ahah, I can remember telling my girlfriend before the November ATG+IF Parisian show to prepare herself to hear like a dog barking during At the Gates. But in the end she actually enjoyed the show (and so did I).

Nevertheless, Lindberg voice truly shined through Slaughter of the Soul but not so much on the last couple of records.

Reactions: eochaid
At the gates sounded awful in London last year. Disappointingly so. Not just vocals, the whole mix was off.

I grew up listening to... Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Helloween, Slayer... That kind of bands. I have a dislike for nu metal, metalcore and modern metal with a few exceptions. I don't find any of those styles appealing at all. When I discovered MDM that was like my mind exploded. I was amazed by the mix of brutality and melody.
Ah, there you go, we do have more in common than you thought we would, looking just at the background. I'm all in for Metallica and Slayer, the others not so much, but mainly due to vocals. IM is cool, but boring, it's same tendency I have with Motorhead playing Ace of Spades over and over again.

Now, in the old times, IF sound was like an evolution from everything that I gre up with. Now, to me, they sound similar to any other modern metal band with almost zero influence from the classics. They feel like they grew up listening to a different music than I did, which is not true.
I mostly agree, though I'm not sure what a "modern metal band" is to you. Not hearing any new metal bands recently doesn't help, probably the latest I'm super excited with is Orbit Culture from 2013.
Still, it seems like it's all a matter of expectations. I haven't thought for one second we're getting anything influenced by classics. IF changed their style so many times in recent years, starting with STYE, it's hard to have any expectations at all. I was just hoping for some good music within my range of interest and that's pretty much what I've got. Still, I don't think it's far from ITM in terms of references to old IF - after all we've got is small references in short interludes.

Ahah, I can remember telling my girlfriend before the November ATG+IF Parisian show to prepare herself to hear like a dog barking during At the Gates. But in the end she actually enjoyed the show (and so did I).

Nevertheless, Lindberg voice truly shined through Slaughter of the Soul but not so much on the last couple of records.
ATG live is something you definitely should hear at least once, it's a unique experience, though vocals do their best to ruin it. And ATG + IF gig is the best way to make Anders shine.

ATG live is something you definitely should hear at least once, it's a unique experience, though vocals do their best to ruin it. And ATG + IF gig is the best way to make Anders shine.

True, IF sounded absolutely fantastic on all aspects. It was my 4th time but the first in a small venue and it worked really well.

I went to 4 ATG shows too and it's always a pleasure but nothing like IF even just sound wise.

I first saw ATG live in late 00s when they first reunited. Lindberg sounded okay then. His voice is destroyed now though. When you can't even get it sounding good in studio then it's time to quit

I mostly agree, though I'm not sure what a "modern metal band" is to you.
Though I know it's not the same style, they come to mind Amaranthe, Architects... Bands like that.

I tend to group them by being more influenced by alt rock and pop than by classic metal bands.

Yo, first two Amaranthe albums sound more like classic MDM than In Flames have since Clayman :D

Modern in terms of how music is being approached.

Also, Iron Maiden are still New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

Maybe they're not labelled as Modern Metal, but that's an example of bands that I feel have a different understanding or approach to music than everything that came before of them. What I mean is, I listen to Architects and then I listen to Iron Maiden and I don't find any common ground. This didn't happen, until recently, with IF.

Last edited:
Quick hello from Finland. In Flames got me into metal in 2004. One of the most important bands of my life.

Listened the new album once and I think that was enough. There were many cool moments, many of the songs started very good... But then always appear the awful autotuned unnatural vocals. They are PAINFUL to listen and ruin the album for me. Feels like instead of a real human, there is somekind of computer script doing the vocals. How about some raw natural emotion for f*ck sake?? Thanks Howard and Anders, but this is not for me.

@ciko_gfb Glad you are ok, mate. I do not live in Greece anymore and I don't keep up much with the news, but I want to believe that my country did send some help. I am waiting for you to praise together our lord and saviour Anders.

Yeah Greece and many more countries (probably where you guys are from) helped a lot, really appreciate the kind words.

@GraemeSinclair @The Grayfox

Glad you're okey too. @burank666 :)

Anyways, here's some reviews from me as I listened the non-singles couple of times:

The Beginning of All Things
Pretty nice opening to new album, always love to hear instrumentals from IF. Really nice folky vibes which I like. 8/10

State of Slow Decay
Wasn't a big fan of this when they released but really grew on me. Probably one of my favorites from album. This one really sums up what I expect from a good In Flames song. 9/10

Meet Your Maker
Really loving the Friend vibe on this song also chorus guitars is really good in my opinion. 7.5/10

Bleeding Out
It's an okey track, nice transitions between harsh and clean vocals, guitars are fine I guess. I had more hope with this track since Bryce and Tanner said this is their favorite song of the album. I don't like noodling solo's so that wasn't good for me. I would say "meh" 5.5/10

Foregone Pt1
Again, really nice song. I loved all 5 singles so this was no different. 7.5/10

Foregone Pt2
One of my favorites from the album. Again sums up what I love about In Flames, nice acoustic touches. 9/10

Pure Light of Mind
Song started awesome, loved the harmonies and melodies. I was shocked when I heard the vocals, it felt like that wasn't Anders or In Flames. Poor choice of vocals I must say, could've done much much better. Than again I got connected to the song with chorus. Really beautiful. Melodic part after first chorus was cool. Again verse vocals I don't like and doesnt sound like Anders. I'm kinda in between with this one, need to listen it a couple times more. For now 6.5/10

The Great Deciever
Another good one, we discussed it many times so I wont comment again 7.5/10

In The Dark
Takes its place with SoSD and Foregone pt2, one of my favorites from the album. Loving the STYE chuggings. Also I was mind blowned with the lead at 0:50, loved it. As some of you guys said, pre chorus was not good. But chorus comes with acoustics and I'm mind blowned again. Both vocals and guitars are so catchy, listened too many times. I liked the classic 2 part solo, specially second part which was very melodic. 9/10

A Dialogue in B Flat Minor
Sounded like one of the Battles bonus track, would be a meh for me. A filler song you might say. Will listen couple of more to understand song more. 5/10

Cynosure
Sounds like a Passenger song from start to finish. Though I missed the Passengers vocals of Anders, I don't want to see them in IF song. Also not really a fan of bass. I like the "Who's at the wheel" part of the chorus though. As through out the album Tanner's performance on this album is really good, drums are shining on this album. 5/10

End the Transmission
Song started really strong, loved the harsh vocals on the verses and the chugging. I loved the pre-chorus "choose your side" and was expecting a more energetic chorus but it let me down. Could be a better song cause I was very hyped with starting of the song. 6.5/10

Become One
Started like a song from ASOP, verses also beautiful, very energetic song. Chorus could've been better but Anders really screwed up with autotune. No wonder a bonus track, Anders wanted to experience I guess.. 6/10

Overall its 7/10 album for me, could go down in time though. Was really hyped for the album but not really what I was expecting. I thought non-singles would be in same vein of singles but that wasn't the case. I just loved In the Dark from non-singles, maybe I have to listen to it more to get into it, we'll see.

Last edited:
Somebody save meeeeeehhhhh, I've been trying so hard but I can't see that farr so save meeeee

When you guys are talking about the pre-chorus in In the Dark, do you mean the "this is a war" part or the acoustic passage with clean singing?

Did they, though? It was the reviewers who said that, not them. Yes, the tirst three tracks were rather heavy, though you yourself said that TGD sounded so not IF, that I am not sure why would you now put it into the bait category for fans who were hoping a return to form. And Forgone 2 plus MYM already hinted at the other side of the record. Well, not the weirdness which is DIalogue, Cynosure or Pure light, but the overall sound.

They did not. Their statement was something like "What we've been and where we are heading to".

And I don't think that the press was also pushing (too much) the narrative of them going back to their roots. Some maybe but not all of them. I think that it was mostly the fans everywhere. It is disappointing? No. I mean, I never bought that narrative.

Listening to the album for the first time, I'll try to keep it short as I go along.

1. The Beginning Of All Times 8/10
Pretty good honestly. As far as their folky acoustic interludes go it matches the stuff they put out in the 90s, I quite like it. Maybe it would make more sense to close an album with it instead of open it due to it having a very resoluting feel and not much of build-up.

2. State Of Slow Decay 5/10
Very mediocre single, it doesn't even connect to the end of the intro in any effective manner, I didn't feel much need to replay it even when it came out.

3. Meet Your Maker 6.5/10
Much more energetic compared to the previous track, wakes you up immediately. Still can't get over the fake sounding singing in the chorus, sorry. I feel like the chorus synth line that is doubling the guitar could've had a more prominent role, higher in the mix with a different sample it could've given a My Sweet Shadow vibe to the song. Great solo. Love the little double-bass burst on the drums in the final chorus.

4. Bleeding Out 5/10
At first I thought the song is starting with a cool polyrhythm but then the guitar progression kicked in and I'm not digging the triumphant thing its got going on at all. Sounds very videogame-y. Strange verse, unusual and very different for Anders. More overdone autotune in the chorus, the chorus melody itself reminds me of modern day Amorphis without any of the actual capability or nuance to pull it off. Cheesy triumphant fanfare intro makes a comeback near the end to connect the song with the solo, which is a very weird arrangement choice. Solo is forgettable and needless.

5. Foregone pt.1 7/10
The best song so far on the record. The main riff in the verse that extends into the pre-chorus is nice and thrashy. Chorus is muddy sounding, there is a lot going on but it's all blended into indiscernable mess that serves as a platform on top of which the vocals lie. I like the break part, solo is nice and melodic.

6. Foregone pt.2 6/10
Obviously I like the folky intro melody. They could've tried to add a nice progression to it instead of repeating the same thing over and over but whatever. The stripped down bareboness version of the melody that goes into the verse is a good choice but the whiny vocals ruin everything. Are people supposed to singalong to this? The waltzy feeling of the intro melody that is now also the chorus is already outstaying its welcome because essentially the same thing is going on since the start of the song. Very lazy arrangment. Nice solo, I like it enough. Chorus definitely does nothing for me.

7. Pure Light Of Mind 3/10
The intro melody reminds me of another song/band but I can't for the life of me put the name to it. Some of the worst singing in the verse I've ever heard from Anders - it just sounds extremely unpleasing to the ear and robotic. I appreciate the dreampop thing he was going for but the execution is godawful. Pre-chorus guitar lead is at least trying to do something and I actually kinda like the prechorus. Chorus should've been far more up-tempo on the drums from the get-go, it could've salvaged the song. All that build-up for nothing. Generic Bjorn solo. More awful singing. I genuinely have zero desire to ever hear this song again. So far the worst song on the album.

8. The Great Deceiver 6/10
Finally some uptempo stuff again. Great intro lead, mid-tempo verses were an odd choice but I feel like they should've stayed uptempo, the whole song would make more sense in a start to finish thrashy manner since the song is fairly short and there isn't much need to have rhythmic variations in order to keep the attention of the listener. The prechorus with the dramatic semi-screaming is pathetic and it takes the song down a notch. Another mediocre solo, I don't even know why do they burden themselves with having a solo in every song for the sake of having them. Unrelated to this, but that was the one thing I really appreciated about The Halo Effect's debut album.

9. In The Dark 2/10
More 3/4 waltzy time signature stuff, didn't expect that from the chuggy guitar intro. Dull verses that do nothing for me at all. Divebomb starting solo with some unusual quints (quarths?) in harmonies. At least its something a bit unusual for Bjorn so I appreciate the effort. Another forgettable verse followed with arguably the dullest prechorus I've ever heard from this band (This is the war...). Nice guitar interlude that feels like weird folky/haunted house mashup. Suprisingly horrible singing, I say suprisingly because the album already set quite a standard. Everything about the chorus sucks, the melody idea, the execution, the unnaturalness of it. Pure Light of Mind is no longer the worst song on the album, this one is even worse, I stand corrected. Some nice solo trade-offs between Bjorn and Chris Broderick but again nothing memorable, nothing hummable, nothing that will stay with you after the song finishes. And it finishes with another repetition dump of the chorus and then the prechorus at the very end. At this point my mood is quite noticably worse.

10. A Dialogue in B Flat Minor 5/10
Intro riff that goes into the verse sounds like a diet version of something off Come Clarity. A subtle synth line kicks off in the background and I quite like it. Singing kicks in and it works in a dancy groovy way, since its actually within Anders' natural range and it sounds convincing. Can't tell if its good or if everything that happened up to this song is so bad that I just feel relief. All of this extends to the chorus, it's very radio pop-rock and arena sounding. It's mediocre as hell but it's not a dumpster fire. More unnecessary solos. At this point I'm starting to fast forward repeated parts. Some of the worst auto-tuning in the final chorus, song could've really gone without that.

11. Cynosure 4/10
Intro sounds like a slowed down Soilwork riff. We hear bass for the first time on the album. Very stripped down song in terms of guitar work. At this point the chorus sounds interchangable with every other chorus on the album, like it's randomly generated almost. The main bass riff is not interesting enough to carry the song almost all the way throughout it.

12. End The Transmission 3.5/10
Intro starts like a downtuned 80s hard rock riff. Chorus sounds like something modern Bring me the horizon would make. My patience for the album is significantly dwindling down. There is an interesting harmonized tremolo melody on the guitars in the final prechorus that is immedialy undone by the chorus. Song ends with the "nothing makes sense and no one is listening" line, and I can't help but agree.

13. Become One 4.5/10
Nothing unique about the song, more amalgamation of the same. The chorus is horribly performed but for a change the idea is honestly alright - if I heard this randomly on the radio performed by a competent singer I would probably stay around for it. One of the worse solos on the album, pure filler. Same goes for the lead that follows after the solo. Last chorus hits, I definitely appreciate the idea even more and hate the execution way more.

Conclusion:
Anders, you can't fucking sing, I'm annoyed I wasted an hour of my life on this and even though I pirated it I feel like I should've been compensated for my patience. Another IF record I'm never going to play. 4/10 as a whole and that comes from someone who actually enjoys pop music a lot and didn't even expect the much-announced return to form for the band. This is just bad music period regardless of the genre.