New Alice in Chains record

Feb 18, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Alice In Chains are finally working on music for its first all-new studio effort since 1995's self-titled third album. Guitarist Jerry Cantrell confirmed that he, bassist Mike Inez, drummer Sean Kinney and new singer William DuVall have been writing songs for months, but told The Pulse of Radio they're not rushing to start recording. "We've been working about the last four months, and there's a good bulk of music and a good body of work so far, and we're having fun, and you know, we're taking our time and trying to figure out where William fits in and where we need to step up, and I have all the confidence in the world in the guys," he said. "The most important thing to me is that we're all together and, you know, it's been a tough and painful experience at times, but it's been very rewarding at the same time."

Alice In Chains have tentative plans to release a new album by the end of this year, although the group has not begun recording or selected a producer.

Alice In Chains officially regrouped in early 2006 after a 10-year absence with DuVall stepping in for late frontman Layne Staley, who died in 2002.

The group did its own headlining tour in the summer and fall of 2006, followed by a 2007 co-headlining jaunt with Velvet Revolver.

Cantrell said he doesn't expect Alice In Chains to play live in 2008 unless a special event comes up or until there is a new album to promote.

I wouldn't be surprised if the album came out sounding great. I thought Jerry's solo albums were pretty damn good. That being said, though, I know how these things tend to go, and I know better than to expect it to kick ass. Time will tell. It's good that they're taking their time with it.

flame me, but aic without layne just seems wrong to me

i know the album will kick ass becase jerry is there, but theres something wrong if i consider layne wont be there.

I'm expecting a very different sounding AIC. Their best work was 10+ years ago.
Still, I'm excited to hear what they produce & to see them live !!

You know with Layne gone the music won't change, but there will be a missing voice/atmosphere, hopefully DuVall can fill that missing spot, but I don't know. I think they should've changed the name, so as not to fuck up the legacy.

Would you listen to a Dio record without Dio? AIC without Staley is impossible. Whether Staley wrote the majority of the songs or not is irrelevant. It was his voice that characterised their trademark sound, and without that voice, the sound cannot exist.