New All Shall Perish - 2011

mstone564

Jan 21, 2010
Sorry if there's already a thread for this here... Didn't see one.

But anyways, I was wondering where this was mix/mastered?

I'm digging the guitar tone and everything else sounds pretty damn good to me mix wise. Music is same ole' and the vocals are shining through as the best part for me again with ASP.

Your opinions?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was Castle Ultimate Studios.

I was reading on Gearslutz, about how the band wanted him (castle Ultimate guy) to master it because when Alan Douches did their last album (Awaken The Dreamers) they weren't happy with the results, same with Arsonists Get All The Girls. Portals was mastered by alan douches but the new one Motherland wasn't.

kinda bummed they didn't get alan to do both of the new albums :( music is still great tho

All Shall Perish is awesome...They are the band that got me into metal!

I gave their new album a brief listen and it sounds really killer so far...it has a unique sound to it (most likely Francesco). And while I feel like they are a completely different band without Matt and Chris, I gotta say, ASP will always be near the top in my book.

p.s. I never liked the lyrics much, but I love Eddie's vocal delivery nonetheless...SICK screams/growls!

Listening to the album preview on Youtube, and it really sounds like this album is lacking balls mixwise.

Didn't think The Price of Existence had the best production in the world either, but it sounded more aggressive.

Musically, I don't think this tops said album, but sounds very good none the less.

I can dig these guys, but something about their mixes/masters just doesn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on it....
Quite thin if i recall, even awaken the dreamers was a very controlled and in my ears thin mix compared to the "br00tal" sound in 2008, of course a overblown mix would've hurt the fast and intricate pieces of the album but especially the drums always sound kinda content and not living up to their possible fullness

Thanks for the kind words. For the record, i did not master the final product, Brian "big bass" Gardner did and i was pretty happy with what he did though i also liked aspect of my master but in the end i would pick his for most things.

It's a tricky record. it's a death metal record with no drum triggering and i wanted the drums to have a big open feel. on the downside that made it a bit more cloudy than i hoped but otherwise i'm still pretty happy with my production on this which is rare for 6 months later for me haha. It should also be noted i didn't "record" any of the guitars or bass, the band did it all themselves with me reamping it all in my studio. That was an interesting quirk to this production for sure.

Thanks for the kind words. For the record, i did not master the final product, Brian "big bass" Gardner did and i was pretty happy with what he did though i also liked aspect of my master but in the end i would pick his for most things.

It's a tricky record. it's a death metal record with no drum triggering and i wanted the drums to have a big open feel. on the downside that made it a bit more cloudy than i hoped but otherwise i'm still pretty happy with my production on this which is rare for 6 months later for me haha. It should also be noted i didn't "record" any of the guitars or bass, the band did it all themselves with me reamping it all in my studio. That was an interesting quirk to this production for sure.

hey thanks for posting the info!, did you mean no triggers as in the drums weren't recorded with triggers just microphones? or theres no sampling/layers on the drum tracks?

Having worked with Zack in the past I'm gonna go on record and say that more than likely the drums you hear on the record are the actual drums with no samples whatsoever. The dude is a genius.

hey thanks for posting the info!, did you mean no triggers as in the drums weren't recorded with triggers just microphones? or theres no sampling/layers on the drum tracks?

correct, there is only sampling on the kick, the other drums are 100% natural mics.