New Amp Day: Vintage br00tz

Let it burn...

Orgasm Donor
Oct 22, 2007
Belgium
vgmuj9.jpg

2n87kup.jpg

1970's 60w Laney Klipp. It has the legendary Partridge transformers and it is insanely loud for a 60 watter. 2 JJ EL34L tubes and it's totally functional, not even a crackling knob! I'll probably have it checked out to make sure nothing is on the verge of exploding lol. Everything is still stock (except for the tubes).

Literally took me years to track a good one down. Finally got in touch with a friend of a friend in Germany who was thinking about selling his. I offered 550EUR incl shipping to Belgium and he accepted.

For those who don't know what's so special about this amp:
- Tony Iommi used it as his main amp on Masters of Reality and Vol 4. Look up Children of the Grave if you want an example of how a boosted one sounds.
- High on Fire used it with an SLO100 on Death in this Communion.
- They were made in limited quantities between 1974 and 1976 IIRC which makes them pretty rare.

Channel One is basically the same as the one channel Supergroup (which predated the Klipp). It's a bit like a Plexi but with less of a midrange bump. Takes dirt pedals really well.

Channel Two is the Klipp channel which is what this amp is all about. What it comes down to is that it's just Channel One but with a tube fuzz after it. It's more of a distortion than a full blown fuzz and it's not as high gain as you might expect (but hey, they didn't need full blown chugga chugga back in the 70ies hehe).

It's the ultimate stoner / doom amp. Great tones. I'm a happy man

Man, If you bring up Black Sabbath and the amps they used, you have to put up some clips! I think it would be fun to try and recreate that type of sound.:headbang: