New approach for mastering audio CDs?

Skaldir

formerly known as Unicorn
Nov 3, 2001
Germany
www.kalthallen.de
I wanted to talk about a problem I ran into. Its about starting codes you set for CD tracks.
A lot of years you didn't need to care how close you set a marker to the start of the track. CD players could play each selected track without cutting the beginning off.
But then DVD players, car radios, and mp3 players came and people listen a lot on other devices than dedicated CD players.
So when you set a start code too close to the track often the beginning is cut off.
Even VLC player needs a few ms gap before the actual signal starts. (You can also hear this when you wanna play back a tightly cut snare sample wav or something)

So what I want to know.
Is there any new "rule" of how large should be the gap between starting codes and actual audio to be safe on all devices out there?
Did Bob Katz talk about this yet? :)

Would be great to get some input on this topic

I've noticed this and practice it, but it was to compensate for the loading of what seemed to be a power stage seemingly after you press play, as most hifi and car systems have one implemented to prevent sudden, unpredictable voltage spikes to protect both Driver and hearing. instead of an instantaneous deafening blast, I figure it's like a quick rev up. It doesn't seem to be an issue with any following tracks on a physical disc, just the very first.

I have always just set the marker a bit in front of the actual start of the song for this reason. Not sure of exact time.

Yeah I also do it all the time, but I wanted to know if there is any time, like 80 ms for example, that would be enough for all devices out there.