New bands, old school sound (White Wizzard, Holy Grail)

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I've seen this guys mentioned in a few threads here, but figured I'd start a new one for them

I just discovered White Wizzard yesterday, and am lovvvving it! Definitely has that old school sound to it. Weird thing is they seem to have a rotating door when it comes to the members, and another bands has spawned from it called Holy Grail. Would love to know what the drama is all about!

Anyways, BOTH bands sounds awesome. Check out the site(s) and the awesomely bad tongue-in-cheek videos lol.

http://www.myspace.com/whitewizzard
http://www.myspace.com/holygrailofficial

Last edited:
Yeah, I like White Wizzard alot. Maybe a bit too cheesy video's, but they have that great "oldschool" vibe only a few bands can reproduce (Wolf beeing one). Well, any band with a good vocalist is a fresh breath these days, hope they can stick to the current line up !

I agree the videos are cheesy, but in such a tongue in cheek way that they are kind of brilliant too. They capture all that was notable and interesting about metal in the 80s in a very exaggerated and funny way. I'm diggin' 'em!

Thanks for the links Deron, I'm totally into WW, their debut EP is one hell of a classic old school album from a modern band. I do hope from their songs on MySpace that the first full-lenght "Over The Top" can be a good follow-up considering only the bass player remains from the debut (but now they have two guitars).

Also that Earrache release a more sensible version for this side of the Atlantic, so far in CDUniverse and Amazon therés only the imported expensive one.

Your kidding me.... I love those videos, far better than the overproduced and split second flashing around crap we have had decades of. This stuff was fun... Great kick ass music too, it would be nice to see this music make a comeback to commercial music. The impact of "grunge" has lasted long enough. I thought that commercial song Halestorm had on the radio was a fresh breath, got overplayed... nothing new there and so did grunge and everything that followed.

After listening to the tunes on their Myspace...I have to admit that WW just doesn't do it for me. Sorry, I like old school but that's just going a bit too far for me. :p

But...I decided to follow Wyvy's Myspace and check out Holy Grail...now that's more like it!! I'll definitely be looking forward to the releases of that band. :headbang:

After listening to the tunes on their Myspace...I have to admit that WW just doesn't do it for me. Sorry, I like old school but that's just going a bit too far for me. :p

But...I decided to follow Wyvy's Myspace and check out Holy Grail...now that's more like it!! I'll definitely be looking forward to the releases of that band. :headbang:

Actually I didn't like much the Holy Grail songs on MySpace, I like WW better :kickass:, but I also will look ahead for an album from HL, the EP is too short to worth purchase it.

Besides Alice Cooper and Vicious Rumors which other band do we both like?, it seems we always disagree here on the board... :lol:

That comes handy whenever we want to try something that's out of our usual tastes.:headbang:

Like tango? :heh::lol:

I played again yesterday "High Speed GTO", is damn infectious. But 'Over The Top' (the song) sounds to me a lot like Wolf. I don't mind that but I feel the original sound of WW was more interesting than copying a newer band that's already doing old style metal (in an excellent way of course :headbang:).

Oh, and I ordered the s/t VR album it's on my way, I suppose I covered all bases according to our discussion on them ;)

I have worked concerts for both bands and the Holy Grail guys are extremely nice while the White Wizzard guys are nice seem a little bitter....about everything. Holy Grail has more thrash sound live. Worked their show with 3 inches of Blood and just recently worked Wizzard with Swashbuckle and Tyr. I prefer Grail. Their Ep is great and the Ed Repka art is awesome. Wizzards Bass player is phenomenal though.

I dunno. These guys are lost on me. I was never really a glam fan so maybe that has something to do with it. I do like Wolf a lot but Wolf seems more serious about the music while WW feels more tongue in cheek. *shrug*

For those that don't know White Wizzard and Holy Grail one in the same, the bass player kept the name WW and cleaned house and the other guys formed Holy Grail. Just got an email from both labels with updates on both albums can't wait. I like 'em both...

For those that don't know White Wizzard and Holy Grail one in the same, the bass player kept the name WW and cleaned house and the other guys formed Holy Grail. Just got an email from both labels with updates on both albums can't wait. I like 'em both...

I know, that's why I checked HL. Nevertheless their songs on MySpace are rougher than the White Wizzard EP material, like Ever said it does sounds thrashy (nothing bad with it) and I was expecting something in the vein of "High Speed GTO" because the vocals are really catchy and melodic, so I thought Holy Grail must be the same but it's not.

Again I will going to buy "Over The Top" and I will keep loking upon HL for material to see if it worth to follow them.

February 5, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
HOLY GRAIL HEADS IN TO STUDIO TO SANCTIFY DEBUT ALBUM; "CRISIS IN UTOPIA" DUE OUT LATE SPRING, 2010

Los Angeles rising star metal quintet Holy Grail will head in to the studio this month to record their debut album, CRISIS IN UTOPIA, due out on Prosthetic Records in late Spring. Acclaimed producer/remixer/musician Danny Lohner (Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle) will be at the production helm.

Previously known as Sorcerer, Holy Grail features members from a former line-up of White Wizzard. Assembled less than a year ago, Holy Grail is already at the forefront of the new wave of metal that pays homage to such legends as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Dio. The band's debut EP IMPROPER BURIAL (released in late 2009), featuring just two original tracks and two covers, has earned Holy Grail significant press accolades including a 2-page feature in hometown paper LA Weekly, a spot on Decibel's "25 Most Anticipated Releases Of 2010" list and inclusion on Metal Hammer's "Guide To The Best In The Upcoming New Wave Of Trad Metal". In its short career, the band has already toured with the likes of 3 Inches Of Blood and Saviours (in support of IMPROPER BURIAL) and is confirmed a number of major metal festivals this summer.

With monster vocals, not one, but two guitar virtuosos and a thundering rhythm section, Holy Grail's sound is at once classic, yet contemporary, encompassing the best of traditional metal with a youthful spirit. Holy Grail is James Paul Luna (vocals), Eli Santana (guitar), James J. LaRue (guitar), Blake Mount (bass) and Tyler Meahl (drums).

To experience Holy Grail, please visit:
www.myspace.com/holygrailofficial

Click here for a new image of the band (photo credit: Alex Solca):

http://download.themusebox.net/images/holy_grail_publicity_1

###

February 5, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
HOLY GRAIL HEADS IN TO STUDIO TO SANCTIFY DEBUT ALBUM; "CRISIS IN UTOPIA" DUE OUT LATE SPRING, 2010

Los Angeles rising star metal quintet Holy Grail will head in to the studio this month to record their debut album, CRISIS IN UTOPIA, due out on Prosthetic Records in late Spring.

Alright, now I know what to look for, and Prosthetic Records releases are easy to find this side of the Atlantic. Thanks for the news Ruben :kickass:

As you may guess "Over The Top" already leaked into the net (available USA domestically on March at The End, CD Universe and Amazon) and I just downloaded it :D

The album is not bad considering that the band (as we already have mentioned) have been revamped big time. My problem is that "High Speed GTO" was a supernova and "Over The Top" is our sun, got the analogy?

The album is solid, and definitively high school. The new vocalist does pretty well although I like the original better (now in Holy Grail and IMO wasting his voice going on the thrash approach of this newer band), but the composition lacks something of the freshness (to me at least) of the debut.

Part sounds like Wolf (not bad, is my favorite modern band after all), parts sounds too much like Maiden (nothing bad with it either), specially the 7:33 min 'Iron Goddess Of Vengeance' (which by times reminds me of 'Powerlsave' mixed with 'Mother Russia'), and the rest tries harder to sound like NWOBHM (again nothing bad), but I feel the band has lost some identity, like if the debut came out naturally but now they try too hard to sound old shcool.

The best tracks so far IMO are, the opener 'Over The Top' and 'Death Race'. The version I download comes with two bonus tracks probably from the imported edition (since I don't find them on the USA release tracklist): 'Gates Of Gehenna' (Cloven Hoof) and 'Heading Out To The Highway' (Judas Priest). The first is done pretty well but I'm kind of partial to the Roxxcalibur version, as for the second being a known but not stellar song from Priest, the cover is done faithfully but nothing astounding about it.

Anyway after all the nagging I'm gonna buy the record, because I can relate totally with this type of metal even is not groundbreaking, amazing or even refreshing as the EP.

I just recently saw Korpiklaani / Tyr on thier NO.AMER. tour wich I was just mentioning in another thread. Well, White Wizzard is also part of this tour and man they flat-out slayed with thier set.