New Dream Theater

LoneWolfMusic

Jan 28, 2004
What does everyone think of the new DT? I think it is a bit different
than their usual stuff, but is GREAT.

Its great cause its DT and their musicianship stands on its own.

Comments anyone?

------------------------------

We are a new label specializing in prog and prog related music.

Check us out.

www.lonewolfmusic.com

Haven't heard it to be honest, I like Dream Theater mainly their instrumentals although there are some songs where LaBrie actually doesn't sound that all annoying. That's why I prefer Liquid Tension Experiment much more but no one can fail the more structured and composed side of Dream Theater. One of my friends has got the album but he seems to really despise it and he's a huge prog/wankery fan. Apparently LaBrie raps in one of the songs :S

00000316.jpg

:OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

Petruccis solos are utter shite and emotionless in Train of Thought but i like the general riffs in the album. It sounded v.good live too. And LaBrie looked liked he lost loads of weight and rudess is bald :lol:

Benzine said:
Petruccis solos are utter shite and emotionless in Train of Thought but i like the general riffs in the album. It sounded v.good live too. And LaBrie looked liked he lost loads of weight and rudess is bald :lol:
one of the good things about ToT is that its the actual songs that hold your attention, rather than the guitar solos (although the solo section in In The Name Of God is brilliant).

the solo in This Dying Soul is umm fucked!! its really badass, i like this cd alot cause Portnoy doesnt sing in it. i think he should stick to what he does best and drum!!
though its defenitly better than some of there other stuff. though the recycled riffs from The Glass Prision is there which is cool, but also shows that they may be running out of ideas to piece together ther music....maybe!

SunlapseVertigo said:
much less 20 seconds of it (if it even is rap) on a 70 minute album.
Even if it was 20 MINUTES, it shouldn't matter.

The genre's called progressive, dammit!

Haha, I don't mind the rap at all. I just heard it, the riffs are pretty awesome but I much prefer the other albums better. It's about time though, Dream Theater moved on to something newer. Well, I don't mind rap at all, I listen to some rap as well. James LaBrie just doesn't sound good rapping, well at least he tried.

It's better than 6DoiT, but the album feels hastily thrown together. It was written in three weeks, and it shows. The first half of the CD is pretty sketchy, it starts to feel more comfortable around Honor Thy Father (there is no "rap" section, LaBrie is just singing the notes at a faster pace; if this constitutes rap, than every brutal DM band where the singer spits out ten million gutteral syllables a second is also rap, albeit even more unintelligable. Rap is a style of music, people, not a style of vocals). Some of Petrucci's solo's are pretty good; some are pretty lifeless (example: the solo on As I Am).

In short, they'll never top Scenes From A Memory.