New DT

Lunrob

Jan 9, 2009
I wonder what you think of the new Dream Theater album - A Dramatic Turn of Events? I couldn't resist to download it beforehand release (I know, I'm a bad, bad human being. Just for the record: I ordered the Deluxe boxed version)

I must say I really like it a lot! I do not agree with Zendt of SRM's review in the latest issue!

It's a given fact that the new DT album has been downloaded a lot!!
Out of respect for the band I suggest we wait till the 13th to discuss the album though.

We ordered the Deluxe box too and it is promised that we get the MP3s on the day of the release (in Germany the release date is today) because the box takes longer to be produced. My husband already sat at his laptop yesterday, completely on edge waiting for the mail with the link. Lol. I told him he's too early, but he didn't want to listen. Maybe he has better luck today, they didn't say we would have to wait for the US release date. :)

The entire album is legally streaming on 'Roadrunner Germany' now and (indeed) the album has been officially released in Germany so......go ahead!

A good record. Much better than Black Water and Silver Closet and Systematic Shit.

Not a masterpiece, anyway....

Frankgate, I have to respectfully disagree!!

The new album is MIND BLOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the instrumental passages are likely amongst the most difficult music ever written. Sweeping Choruses, Grand Chords, Dark Moments, Heavy Breakdowns. It's got it all. And James Labrie sounds GREAT on this album. His best performance in the past 3 albums.

so what would you say about When Dream And Day Unite
Crap
Images & Words
Amazing
Good
or Scenes From A Memory?
Great

Within the context of DT albums of course. SFAM and Awake are pretty amazing when compared to all other music.

I like the new album, not sure how it compares to all the others until I have time to really come to appreciate every song as much as I appreciate the others. But I don't see how it's that much different or better than their other stuff. I never saw anything wrong with DT or how they didn't sound like DT, and this album still seems to have all the qualities people complained about in Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds, even if it does have some other good stuff people wanted back.

But it's got them sounding like other bands, modern metal and "trying to be something they're not" (Build Me Up, Break Me Down), technical instrumentals thrown in "for the sake of it" which many would call "wankery" (Lost Not Forgotten, Outcry, even Breaking All Illusions' instrumental drags), them repeating themselves (everyone and their mother has commented on the parts of Lost Not Forgotten that sound like Under A Glass Moon, and although I hate people that try to make up motivations for the music (oh they're trying to hard, they're trying to sound modern, whatever) even I can't help but wonder if, for Breaking All Illusions, they didn't say "Everyone constantly talks up Learning To Live, why not make a song like that again?")

But anyway, for me, I think it's great. Linkin Park were one of the first bands I got into nine years ago or so, and even though I don't exactly listen to them now I still like them enough, so DT channeling a similar sound in BMU, BMD doesn't bother me. The fact that Outcry spends half of the time in crazy instrumental mode and less time in song mode is a little disappointing, but only because the themes, chorus, intro, verses and other parts are among the best on the album so could use more time. Breaking All Illusions sounds literally like it was based on the overall structure, mood and sound of Learning To Live, but it's still an amazing song.

So while I do question how this is such a departure from previous albums (and think many people are probably just influenced by their expectations and what other people are saying), it is a great album and a great DT album. I'd maybe say around their 5th or 4th best right now, but that could easily change once I really get to know all the songs and they find their place.

The new album is MIND BLOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good record. [...] Not a masterpiece, anyway....

What's funny, you are both right. "A dramatic Turn Of Events" is the best thing DT recorded after "Metropolis Part 2" but... they probably will never sound as excellent as in "Images And Words" times (however "Breaking All Illusions" track is very close to that).

Personally, I love the album. Nothing will top Awake and Images and Words though. Some people say that if they didn't know Portnoy had left DT (Which I am still pissed about) they wouldn't have known it wasn't him drumming. There are a couple things that would give away it isn't him which I feel the need to say.
1. That snare. Mangini's snare is a lot looser then portnoy's. A lot.
2. I don't know how to say this so I'll just put it like this "That fast thing he does with one hand". I have never seen Portnoy do that (Don't get me wrong, I love his drumming and he is one of my huge drumming influences next to Mr. Sandin and Aquiles) and honostly, I don't know if he would be able to, however I don't know.

Not a fan anymore.
Back in the day when I first discovered them (summer of 95, saw Take the Time on MTV - imagine that), thus discovering progressive metal/rock, I declared Images and Words to be the greatest album in history. I still stand by this statement. When Dream and Day Unite is on a solid 2nd place (DT-wise, not in history;)), but I felt it went downhill with Awake and then onwards. Scenes from a Memory holds a few really positive parts, like 1928 Overture and Strange DejaVu plus some other bits here and there, but for me it ends there.
The worst thing I know about these bands is how they claim to have "matured". I saw an interview with DT after the shows they did for the A Change of Seasons-EP-thing, and I think it was Myung that said that they had matured now. Matured how? Why does it mean that when a band "matures" they have to put in that "#¤% seventh string and make all dark and monotonous "chugga-chugga" riffs. People say "'cause that's what's metal". Well, if that's metal, what were the fresh and exciting and last but not least MELODIC(!!!) parts and riffs from Images and Words? Pop? Jazz? Hardly..
Naturally, I understand that bands don't want to make the same record over and over again - we all know how many Images and Words-clones there are out there and how bad many of them are. But still, where does it say that at some point, they have to "grow up" and not have the somewhat youthful and "explorative" approach they had before? Did it all go downhill for Dream Theater when Kevin Moore left? I feel it did, because all the really good melodies disappeared. Everything they've churned out since then (apart from said pieces off of Scenes but those are spawned from the original Metropolis pt I) is repetitive, boring and nowhere near as grand as it used to be.

So for the new album, sans Mr Portnoy: First off, I know all about his role in the band and that without his dedication, (which, let's face it, was without a doubt the best any bandmember has ever done for their band - at least that I can think of), they probably wouldn't be where they are today. But at the same time I saw his departure as a fresh start for the band. Sadly, I was disappointed - again! Ok, there are some parts here and there that are good, I especially enjoyed (hey, I'm not all negative) "Breaking All Illusions", it has a very positive feel to it - for me at least. But other songs, many of them contain the "ok, we have to have some weird, proggy things in here, it's mandatory! let's go nuts!" -parts. They can be ok, but I feel that here they just sound misplaced.

All in all; a small step in the right direction - let's hope the next one will be bigger!

Granted, I have no musical credibility whatsoever and this is all in my humble(?) opinion, so.. yea. I might as well say nothing, but I had some time to kill during my lunch-break :)

Oh and please excuse my use of parentheses - I just love them ( :p )