Theories Of Flight
Fates Warning
Label
Inside Out
Available versions
CD 2CD 2lp + CD

CD
18,95 € Buy
Release date: 1.7.2016. Product will be shipped a day before the release date.

You can make a reservation for this product and pick it up after release date from the nearest Record Shop X.

Track list
1. From The Rooftops (06:52)
2. Seven Stars (05:33)
3. SOS (04:34)
4. The Light And Shade Of Things (10:14)
5. White Flag (05:20)
6. Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen (05:13)
7. The Ghosts Of Home (10:31)
8. Theories of Flight (04:00)

2CD
23,95 € Buy
2CD Mediabook edition includes 6 previously unreleased acoustic bonus tracks: 3 own songs and 3 cover versions

Release date: 1.7.2016. Product will be shipped a day before the release date.

You can make a reservation for this product and pick it up after release date from the nearest Record Shop X.

Track list
CD 1 – Main Album:
1. From The Rooftops (06:52)
2. Seven Stars (05:33)
3. SOS (04:34)
4. The Light And Shade Of Things (10:14)
5. White Flag (05:20)
6. Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen (05:13)
7. The Ghosts Of Home (10:31)
8. Theories of Flight (04:00)

CD2 – Acoustic Bonus Disc:
1. Firefly (03:15, previously unreleased)
2. Seven Stars (04:25, previously unreleased)
3. Another Perfect Day (03:25, previously unreleased)
4. Pray Your Gods (03:45, Toad The Wet Sprocket cover version)
5. Adela (02:25, Joaquin Rodrigo cover version)
6. Rain (04:03, Uriah Heep cover version)

Nice, not a long wait at all for this. Its great to see they are releasing music more regularly now

After a couple of listens to become familiar with the songs, I think this disc qualifies as an instant classic and their best since APSOG. Unlike their last disc, Theories of Flight is much more uptempo, heavier and more upbeat while still maintaining the introspective storytelling that is a hallmark of this band. The 10 minute epics, "The Light and Shade of Things" and "The Ghosts of Home" are examples of Fates at their very best as is the incredibly haunting instrumental finale and follow-up to "Ghosts," – "Theories of Flight" – the title most certainly derived from a childhood spent with a family that moves every few years as the parents follow their careers.

Disc of the year for me so far. Unlikely anything's going to top it. Everyone in the band is in top form and Ray sounds as strong as he ever has.

Last edited:
Not sure I would go as far as to call it upbeat. But yeah I agree with most of what you said. Only thing I would differ on is that I think its their strongest since Disconnected.

Agree with Fiddler, so great to be getting such quality from these guys so late into their career...

Class record, surely this year's best!? \m/

FATES WARNING HIT THE CHARTS WITH THEORIES OF FLIGHT; NEW “WHITE FLAG” DRUM / BASS PLAYTHROUGH VIDEO STREAMING

"...Fates Warning have entered the sales charts in various countries with their new album, Theories Of Flight, released last week via InsideOutMusic. Here are some of the chart results:
Germany: # 12
Italy: # 80
The Netherlands: # 70
Belgium (Flemish): # 175
US: # 2 Billboard Heatseekers / # 62 Current Top 200 Albums
Vocalist Ray Alder checked in with the following comment: "Thanks to everyone who contributed to this amazing first week. We're blown away by the response so far. Thanks again!"
A new drum and bass play-through video (with a slightly adapted audio mix) for the song "White Flag" can be found below...."