New instrumental mix I'm working on

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
A rough instrumental mix that Im currently working on, I mastered it slightly (just using a limiter) just so its louder and easier to listen to because it's super low as a mix, but it might sound squashed therefore leading to swayed thoughts, my b :\

Vocals will be added soon, but let me know what you think of the instrumental. I'm quite proud of this one, especially the bass tone. Others will think otherwise.

First Mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33877996/Song 1 INST ROUGH MASTER 1.mp3

EDIT: My most recent mix I just did, changed some things, and I didn't master this one, so it's super quiet, still waiting on some vocals :\

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33877996/Song 1 INST ROUGH MIX 3.mp3

Some things that went into it:

Pod Farm bass/guitar
Joey Sturgis Snare (multi hits)

Guitar chain: TS>Mississippi Criminal>4x12 Treadplate with Condenser
Post processing: Limiter, high passed at 100hz, tiny boost at 500-800hz (somewhere in there), cut at 3k, low pass at 1200k

Bass chain: Silverface>8x10 Classic with Tube 47 Close
Post processing: Compressor, limiter, high passed at 45hz to get rid of rumble, cut around 800hz, tiny boost at 3-4k.

hey! just had a listen to your instrumental mix. the overall picture of the mix isnt too off.. but i noticed there are some sub bass frequencies (especially on the kick) that you might wanna roll off a bit, so the kick drum and bass guitar wont battle each other in the mix. Try rolling off a bit on the kick, like around 40 hz. maybe scoop some at 250hz. with the bass, roll off at 60hz, since the frequencies of a bass guitar only go down to about 62hz. Guitars sound fine to me, but lack a bit of presence and "life". try fooling around about in the "presence" frequencies ;-)
This is just my personal opinion about your mix! Keep up the good work :)
Cheers

Thanks man! I actually highpass my bass around 45-50hz to lessen the rumble and then I cut some out of 800hz to let the guitars fit right in. Kick is boosted pretty high around 30-60hz and is completely scooped from the low mids to like 3k. Than I increase some of the 3-4k range for clarity and a little click. But I get what you are saying, I'll try it out. My low mids tend to go nuts.

Appreciate the feedback :)