New Journey song.,... pretty good stuff

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Normally I scoff at bands trying to replace vocalists that are sound-alikes. I didn't care for Ripper in Priest etc. but this Arnel Pineda guy now singing for Journey is fantastic. If you like classic Journey, I think you will like this song. The band sounds revitalized with this new singer.

Bryant

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRVdF7EinBI&feature=related[/ame]

JOurney is more metal than most metal bands today. :p

I thought Journey was going to pursue a new overall direction when JSS left. THis new guy sounds more old school Perry-era Journey than Perry himself.

The new album is great. I like it. I will see them live in Koln tomorrow. Looking forward to that. Its been 30 years since I have seen them.

Schon's other band, Bad English- almost, but not quite to me. I saw them open for Whitesnake, back on the Slip of the Tongue tour. I was worried they'd sing Missing You, one of Waite's songs from his solo album, and unfortunately, they did, ala acoustically. They did a Journey song, but i can't remember which.

Journey is just a rock band, but considering when they came on to the scene, they were certainly influential to all guitar based music like Boston, AC/DC etc were.
I just bought the CD. I am listening to the remakes. He sounds quite a bit like a young Steve Perry, but let's not try to pretend he sounds like the later years of Perry with Journey. Steve Perry is regarded by many as the greatest rock singer of all time and I wouldn't argue with them. Steve Perry had one of the most amazing voices ever.
Having said all of that, I like Pineda. I think he sounds great and Journey sounds resurrected. I hope they do well.

Bryant

They are AOR....

I think they will. So many fans were waiting for so long. There was such a big gap from 86-96. I think the fans will like the new guy even more than the liked Augeri, who was a pretty good replacement.

I'm not a fan but people have to remember that Journey is a band with over 30 years span career. Steve Perry didn't join until the fourth album (1978), so the band has pass through many transitions and musical directions. Today they can be classified as AOR or radio-oriented hard rock.

http://www.journeymusic.com/band.html

Probably also worth noting that Robert Fleischmann was briefly in Journey around 1977 before appearing on the Vinnie Vincent debut in 1986. I think Fleischmann co-wrote 'Wheel in the Sky" but Perry did the vocals.

Yep, Journey was originally a jazz fusion group. But in all honesty, Perry joining the group is what kept the band from calling it a day back in 77-78. Does anybody have the Dream After Dream album? It's a soundtrack they did in the early 80's. It has a few proggish moments on it.

I am happy you enjoyed it. As I said earlier, Arnel is NOT Steve Perry, but he does a great job with the Perry tunes and his charisma is really top notch. Journey seems to be reborn with him. I wish I could have been with you there Henri. My fave three bands are all German. It would be cool to have seen an American band kicking ass in Germany.

Bryant

Last evening's concert was amazing. New singer Arnel Pineda is quite a singer. I really enjoyed myself. The new songs sounded great as well. The crowd went wild. :)

Coming Sunday I'll be seeing them again at the Arrow classic rock festival

Ha ha ha that is true, but then again, The Goo Goo Dolls were once a punk band. Until Rzeznik decided to write a bunch of sappy love songs, the band stank. I normally hate "sell-outs" but The Goos are better at power-pop as are Journey.

Bryant

Yep, Journey was originally a jazz fusion group. But in all honesty, Perry joining the group is what kept the band from calling it a day back in 77-78. Does anybody have the Dream After Dream album? It's a soundtrack they did in the early 80's. It has a few proggish moments on it.