New Journey song.,... pretty good stuff

I am happy you enjoyed it. As I said earlier, Arnel is NOT Steve Perry, but he does a great job with the Perry tunes and his charisma is really top notch. Journey seems to be reborn with him. I wish I could have been with you there Henri. My fave three bands are all German. It would be cool to have seen an American band kicking ass in Germany.

Bryant

Man Germany is great! I love that country. The food, the drinks, the people. And the country side is beautiful. I always have a great time when I am in Germany.

And than there's the festivals. I'll be at Wacken this year and I am trying
to go to Summer Breeze as well. Within a few weeks I also attend the Graspop festival in Belgium. This summer is turning out to be great!

I agree 100% My favorite three bands are German. It is more than that as well... Germany is a very special place. If The American Government told me I had to leave the US, I would be packing my bags for Germany. It is indeed a beautiful and old country.

Bryant

Man Germany is great! I love that country. The food, the drinks, the people. And the country side is beautiful. I always have a great time when I am in Germany.

to go to Summer Breeze as well. Within a few weeks I also attend the Graspop festival in Belgium. This summer is turning out to be great!

You will have to do better than that.... give us a review of Journey, not just Germany.

Bryant

You will have to do better than that.... give us a review of Journey, not just Germany.

Bryant

You know what? Go to Walmart, get their 3 disc version of their new album 'Revelation', when home put the DVD in your DVD player, turn up the sound and you are there, just as I have seen them in Koln! ;)

Btw, before I forget; did I tell you that no one less than my good friends Sieges Even were the support act?

I saw Journey last sunday in Madrid. It was first show of the European tour and it seemed a kind of "warm up" gig.

Positive:

- Arnel is an excellent singer
- Deen Castronovo is GOD :worship: and Neil Schon did it amazingly
- New songs sounded good specially brilliant ballad "after all theses years".
- Overall, very good gig.

Negative:

- In my opinion, Arnel has to learn in which band he´s singing. He can´t run along the stage like he was on "american idol", "pop idol" "operación triunfo" or whatever. Besides, Frontman charisma: Soto=10 Arnel=3. In Spain we say: "He runs like a headless chicken"

- Running time: 40 less than last year with Soto.

- Deen Castronovo only sang 1 song. He owns the "most near Perry" voice. Leave Dino sing more!!!

- Jonathan Cain: Always looking at Arnel´s movements. He seemed a policeman just behind the thief.

I saw Journey last sunday in Madrid. It was first show of the European tour and it seemed a kind of "warm up" gig.

Positive:

- Arnel is an excellent singer
- Deen Castronovo is GOD :worship: and Neil Schon did it amazingly
- New songs sounded good specially brilliant ballad "after all theses years".
- Overall, very good gig.

Negative:

- In my opinion, Arnel has to learn in which band he´s singing. He can´t run along the stage like he was on "american idol", "pop idol" "operación triunfo" or whatever. Besides, Frontman charisma: Soto=10 Arnel=3. In Spain we say: "He runs like a headless chicken"

- Running time: 40 less than last year with Soto.

- Deen Castronovo only sang 1 song. He owns the "most near Perry" voice. Leave Dino sing more!!!

- Jonathan Cain: Always looking at Arnel´s movements. He seemed a policeman just behind the thief.

:OMG:

I disagree with everything you say in the negative part of your post Marco. :)

I loved Arnel's energetic stage presence. And his running an jumping fits Journey fine. Although Deen Castronovo is a good singer I like Arnel's voice better. I would like to see Arnel sing everything. For Frontman charisma Arnel scores an 8 as far as I am concerned.

I wonder if we have been watching the same band. I guess it shows the subjectivity of preferences.

The story is becoming more strange the longer you delve into it....

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the album but for the most part the vocals sound forced. You can tell the how much the new singer is being directed note by note to resemble Perry.

Sorry for my late reply. Summer is a very very busy time for me. Two or three days after I made the original post, I did go to Wal-Mart and bought the three disc set for less than $12. Arnel is great live. I would like to see them live. However, the live DVD sounds too "perfect." I believe hey went and recorded some onto that disc. If I'm wrong, then Journey is nothing short of incredible, because the ONLY band I have ever seen live that sounded that close to the studio was another Rock and Roll band.... Heart.
I "liked" Journey years ago and had a cassette of Escape, but since I bought this disc, I even went and bought a Greatest Hits double CD of theirs and have been listening to quite a bit of Journey lately.

Bryant

You know what? Go to Walmart, get their 3 disc version of their new album 'Revelation', when home put the DVD in your DVD player, turn up the sound and you are there, just as I have seen them in Koln! ;)

Btw, before I forget; did I tell you that no one less than my good friends Sieges Even were the support act?

Arnel had already been doing Journey covers in his formet band in the Phillippines "The Zoo." That is how he was "discovered" by Schon. On the slow stuff, like "Faithfullly," he can hit all of the notes just fine, but his voice is just not as naturally gifted and full as Perry's. In fact, no one has those qualities Steve Perry has/had that I have heard. Steve Perry is a God and Arnel is not Steve Junior, but he is a natural tenor that can do justice to earlier era Journey and can add his own style to new stuff.

Bryant

I like the album but for the most part the vocals sound forced. You can tell the how much the new singer is being directed note by note to resemble Perry.

Revelation is really good stuff! Arnel's similarity to Perry was a bit disturbing at first but you can pick up the differences after a few spins. I'll be giving this one a lot more than a few spins in the future though, the songs are just classic Journey all around and the album is far less ballad-driven than I feared. Not that Journey ballads completely suck but for example Trial By Fire was just overkill in that area, Journey can rock as well and I'm glad they acknowledge it too.

This may be considered a "step back" for the band as Arnel is indeed capable of perfect Perry imitation but it's a good move IMO. This is especially so because the new songs are so good, I might have a different opinion if they had only released the re-recorded oldies. Journey's an all around relevant band right now and it's good to see the new album's selling like hot cakes.

About the Augeri albums... I admit I've only heard a handful of songs and they were just kinda OK. How would you say they compare to Revelation? It's just that I was really surprised how damn good most of the new songs are, maybe it's time to give the previous works another chance as well.

Great reply. I pretty much feel about the same way. Augeri was a very good singer, but the songs were average and live he was average as well despite giving 100% effort..... Arnel has charisma that goes through the roof though. I hate to sound racial here, but I think being Asian and more particular, Filipino which is Asian/Spanish makes him look like a 25 year-old as opposed to 40 and gives him a unique look that is not seen much in Western music. Arnel also has a feminine quality about him, though he doesn't appear "gay" much like Sebastian Bach. He is just a great front man. Arnel MAKES Journey as much as Journey has made him.

Bryant

Revelation is really good stuff! Arnel's similarity to Perry was a bit disturbing at first but you can pick up the differences after a few spins. I'll be giving this one a lot more than a few spins in the future though, the songs are just classic Journey all around and the album is far less ballad-driven than I feared. Not that Journey ballads completely suck but for example Trial By Fire was just overkill in that area, Journey can rock as well and I'm glad they acknowledge it too.

This may be considered a "step back" for the band as Arnel is indeed capable of perfect Perry imitation but it's a good move IMO. This is especially so because the new songs are so good, I might have a different opinion if they had only released the re-recorded oldies. Journey's an all around relevant band right now and it's good to see the new album's selling like hot cakes.

About the Augeri albums... I admit I've only heard a handful of songs and they were just kinda OK. How would you say they compare to Revelation? It's just that I was really surprised how damn good most of the new songs are, maybe it's time to give the previous works another chance as well.

In fact, no one has those qualities Steve Perry has/had that I have heard. Steve Perry is a God and Arnel is not Steve Junior, but he is a natural tenor that can do justice to earlier era Journey and can add his own style to new stuff.

The only two singers that come to mind who can actually do Perry TRUE justice is Glenn Hughes and Tony Harnell (and maybe Tate circa 1986). Even that other singer (from Tyketto) they had in the 90s couldn't quite match Perry.

Nonetheless, it's a fantastic disc and I really like Arnel. I'll have to check out the DVD when I get time, but the re-recorded tracks are nothing short of awesome. Good production and Arnel does the songs justice while still giving them a bit of his own flair.

The only two singers that come to mind who can actually do Perry TRUE justice is Glenn Hughes and Tony Harnell (and maybe Tate circa 1986). Even that other singer (from Tyketto) they had in the 90s couldn't quite match Perry.

Nonetheless, it's a fantastic disc and I really like Arnel. I'll have to check out the DVD when I get time, but the re-recorded tracks are nothing short of awesome. Good production and Arnel does the songs justice while still giving them a bit of his own flair.

+1

Great reply. However..... I don't think anyone ever sounded much like Perry. It is a simple thing...... Steve Perry was/is a natural tenor, but he has/had a "natural" rasp that is ONLY normally given to those with a baritone voice. He iswas technically brilliant.... don't get me wrong, but his God-given voice is/was on a different level than ANY vocalist I have ever heard in my life including Hughes, Dio.... etc.
Steve Perry has a "golden throat." He used his talent very wisely and honed it to an amazing degree, but you HAVE to both be born with that vocal ability AND have to work your ass off to make yourself in his league. He is not "untouchable," but there are parts that he sings in MANY songs that are simply overwhelming and he gets his props as being "the greatest" for a reason.

Bryant