New Layered Melodic Metal Track!

exzem

May 4, 2009
Sweden
Hey!

Just finished a new song, lots of layers with some postrock-ish parts.

Check it out:

Recording is pretty standard, X30/HyBrit for guitars.

Missing my bass, so pitch shifted guitar for bass, just changed strings so actually sounds pretty deep! Of course missing the nice grit/string noise from an actual bass :)

Standard S2.0 + SSD EX for Drums.

..yeah I know the piano VST is pretty lame :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds really good man. Even with pitch shifted guitar as a bass, the low end sounds quite good. Wouldn't you mind describing what processes are running for the bass?

Yeah sounds great. Quiet an impressive bottom considering it's a pitch shifted guitar. Only thing I'm bothered about is the constant snap the clean guitars have, probably too much gain reduction, too fast attack or both.

Hey Nuno! Bass chain is not very complicated:

Bridge pickup into AmpegSVX, just default settings but with cranked gain and midrange. Then compressing 10ms attack taking off about 15db, into eq boosting around 80-130hz and 2k and cutting heavily everything else in between. Finally a limiter at the end to even it out.

But I'd say most of the sound comes from new strings and relatively high action on the guitar, which helps with the low end. I try to get it sound as deep as possible before actually pitch shifting it.

Plankis: Thanks! yeah I see what you mean with the snappy cleans, you're right, too much heavy limiting. Need to take a look at that.