New Listener Help

Because it is the most straightforward, and also one of the more recent albums. IMO they are all good however. I would start with Recreation Day or In Search of Truth

'Recreation Day' is musically best, very well produced, with best atmosphere... and this is the first Evergrey album I've heard!
Also, the first two albums are hardly available in some countries

SDT-good, dark, heavy. Crunchy guitars.
ISOT- more thematic, more developed sound and story. Intro of Henrik on guitars and Michael on Bass. Sven from Soilwork on keys, who was quite good.
RD-My favorite. Speed metalesque riffs here and there, lots of intricate guitarwork, blend of heavy and light songs. Introduction of Rikard on keys. He added more ambience to the music.
TDD- A bit underproduced, but with some great songs. Not recommend as the top three above as a first album, but decent for a debut.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIC-not the first album of theirs to get. Period.

sknight said:
SDT-good, dark, heavy. Crunchy guitars.
ISOT- more thematic, more developed sound and story. Intro of Henrik on guitars and Michael on Bass. Sven from Soilwork on keys, who was quite good.
RD-My favorite. Speed metalesque riffs here and there, lots of intricate guitarwork, blend of heavy and light songs. Introduction of Rikard on keys. He added more ambience to the music.
TDD- A bit underproduced, but with some great songs. Not recommend as the top three above as a first album, but decent for a debut.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIC-not the first album of theirs to get. Period.

Thanks dude...very informative. I think I'll go with Recreation Day...I like that song.

Nebulous said:
Yeah, the trilogy really finishes that album off well.

Well...I bought Recreation Day last night...it's good...I couldn't get the extended version. I like it...I need to give it a few more listens before I make a final judgement. I like the guitarist.

What is their heaviest album?...I may like that more.

No comparison, but it's also a different kind of music. Much crunchier and he's not bad either, just not on Henrik's level of technical ability, flow, and songwriting.

SDT is highly recommended. The theme is a tie in with ISOT in contrasts. SDT is about being alone and solitary while ISOT is about never being alone.

sknight said:
No comparison, but it's also a different kind of music. Much crunchier and he's not bad either, just not on Henrik's level of technical ability, flow, and songwriting.

SDT is highly recommended. The theme is a tie in with ISOT in contrasts. SDT is about being alone and solitary while ISOT is about never being alone.

Ok...I listened to Recreation Day 3 times now...it's a really good album...not exactly my style, but it's well executed, well produced....just a good fucking album...I've officially warmed up to it. Thanks for all your help Evergreyers! I'm sure I'll be looking for another album soon.

haha,what the fuck!? Solitude Dominance Tragedy would give the best first impression if youre into heavy,but evergrey is more feelings and atmosphere then brutality...or at least thats how I see it;p