New Luca Turilli album announced - 'Ascending To Infinity'

Could not stop listening to this album this whole weekend and...wow. Just wow. This album really shows Luca is still probably the best composer in metal. I really rate The Frozen Tears of Angels as a fantastic Rhapsody album and I think Ascending to Infinity begins where that left off. Luca is keeping the Rhapsody flag held high with the album, it's just wall to wall epic, melodic and the new vocalist is phenomenal. At times you can tell he's had to emulate Fabio to fit the style of the song but in all other areas he's really shown off what he can do and it's impressive stuff. Luca you are the man, the spirit of Rhapsody is here and with you.

WOW.

This might be the album of the year for me, eclipsing Sonata Arctica. It's symphonic power metal that is doing new things and keeping the sound fresh and alive. Alessandro Conti is the shining star of this album in my opinion, proving there are still some people out there with the talent and energy of the older metal legends. He sounds exactly like Michael Kiske, and has amazing control of his voice - can even do operatic vocals! The songwriting is outstanding throughout the whole album, lots of variety and shifting dynamics, I can't get enough of it. Easily Luca's best composing yet.

The addition of real orchestras and choirs makes it that much better. Dante's Inferno is such a cool track, Ascending to Infinity really pummels you with power metal glory, and Dark Fate of Atlantis has some incredible prog-power melodies and solos. The cover of Helloween's March of Time is, dare I say it, better than the original!

I can't get enough of this album, I've already spun it a dozen times over the last few days and it's just... glorious. Majestic in every way. Holy hell I hope they keep this going because this is a great sign of things to come. Normally musicians who are at this stage in their career have already hit their peak, but Luca's still doing new things and I'd say this is his best album yet. The cinematic tag is no lie.

9.5/10, only reason is that some parts of Dante's Inferno don't grip me as much as older Rhapsody epics and Luna and Excalibur are probably the weaker songs on the album (though I still love them). Masterful!