New Macbook Pro's

why not use the SAME amount of money and buy a mac pro. They are way way faster then any macbook pro commin out.
Your 2008 mbp is still perfect for tracking and stuff.
Damn I use a 2006 mbp for mobile recordings without problems

I use a 2006 mb white plastic one to record. I simply installed a 7200rpm hd and it's enought with a 2.0gHz C2D to record stuff on 16 tracks or more!!!

I'm a bit confused. The Intel website indicates that Thunderbolt is "compatible with existing DisplayPort devices," while the Apple site indicates Thunderbolt is being "first introduced on the new MacBook Pros."

Is the mini displayport on my current MBP Thunderbolt-compatible or no? Does everyone have to buy a new MBP in order to use Thunderbolt?

Think about that for a second.
Thunderbolt aka lightpeak is brand new.

Its backwards compatible with display port starting with the new ones announced Thursday February 24 2011.

I'm a bit confused. The Intel website indicates that Thunderbolt is "compatible with existing DisplayPort devices," while the Apple site indicates Thunderbolt is being "first introduced on the new MacBook Pros."

Is the mini displayport on my current MBP Thunderbolt-compatible or no? Does everyone have to buy a new MBP in order to use Thunderbolt?

It is the same connector (mini displayport) but thunderbolt needs an internal card that talks to the gpu and cpu to do its magic. So you will need a new mac in order to take advantage of the technology. Honestly, while it is totally awesome...it is pointless for the next few months until things start to roll out for it.

It's going to take a bit for Thunderbolt to proliferate, as Intel isn't planning to launch it with it's OEMs until 2012. The Intel info page has quotes from Avid, Apogee, and UA execs. Hopefully this will open up new options for hardware. This new protocol is nice b/c it can use adapters to work as USB2.0, FW400, eSATA and Gigabit Ethernet also. Should be interesting to see what comes out in the next year.

Once it becomes more popular I'm sure USB/FW will be slowly phased out by most every company using them today. I mean this is the first time it's being used on the consumer level on a product AFAIK, it's only a matter of time until everyone sees it in action for themselves and understands how much it owns USB/FW.

I'm very far from being sure. Thunderbolt chips are for sure much more expensive than USB ones which makes it pretty useless for low cost/speed devices. The fact that only Intel can make chips (Intel will not licence the technology per se) doesn't make it any easier. The fact that Thunderbolt has security issues of FW (full access to the memory of host for any device connected to the port), doesn't help either.

So, I think that Thunderbolt will phase out FW, but it's unlikely that it will do the same with USB. And of course it helps to bring more high speed devices to the laptops etc.

The upgrade is 'okay'. Why the heck can't Apple upgrade the screen resolution on the 13"? Still 1280x1024 and 2,04 kg. I'd upgrade my 2006 white MacBook, but not without a bump in screen resolution - 1280x1024 is just driving me insane, it's 2011.

What I don't get, is that with all the performance upgrades they're doing, why do they still use 5400rpm drives? Baffles me.

What I don't get, is that with all the performance upgrades they're doing, why do they still use 5400rpm drives? Baffles me.

You can upgrade to 7200rpm on the 15" - I quess they just want to milk the cow. But you can always swap the drive yourself, but still... 5400rpm? It's 2011.

You can upgrade to 7200rpm on the 15" - I quess they just want to milk the cow. But you can always swap the drive yourself, but still... 5400rpm? It's 2011.

I highly doubt that the majority of people can tell a difference between a 5400 RPM drive and a 7200 RPM drive. Plus, battery life is most likely better with a 5400 RPM drive too.

Think about that for a second.
Thunderbolt aka lightpeak is brand new.

Its backwards compatible with display port starting with the new ones announced Thursday February 24 2011.

Well, when new computer technology comes out, it doesn't ALWAYS require new hardware. It's a poor analogy, but for example, when a new OS comes out, you don't suddenly need new hard drives in order for it to run. I didn't understand what Thunderbolt was exactly, besides a new data standard. Since it used the same port that been on the MBPs, I thgouth maybe it was just software/driver driven, or a firmware update. I figured it would be possible to use old ports. I'm still not really sure what "compatible with existing DisplayPorts" means. Just that you can still use your external monitor with the existing port, while no Thunderbolt peripherals are out?

It's pretty crazy that the cheapest new MBP is more powerful than the most expensive/best mid-2010 MBP. Suck for me in terms of resale value, I imagine.